Crazy Dublin Rents and House Prices

You’d want to have seen some of the bedsits (studio apartments) and flats I stayed in over the years. I suppose we were happy to have a roof over our heads in those days.

4 Likes

Sure ye were just glad to be out of the mud wall cabins.

The difference of course is the rent ye paid to live in shitholes, was priced at shithole levels. These are shitholes priced at extortionate levels.

It’s all relative bucko. I certainly remember spending half my weekly disposable income to stay in a kip.

2 Likes

. Shitholes in grove pk and belgrave sq for 100 pounds per month

I don’t know how we did it

2 Likes

Waiting for the Evening Press to come out and then racing around Rathmines and Phibsborough to stand in queues for the evening to view stuff that wouldn’t be out of place in Mombasa.

6 Likes

Who would have thought banning bedsits would cause a shortage of available properties to rent.

1 Like

Can single folks afford to rent places on their own or is the price in the Market so high all a single person can do is share a property?

Are there many bedsits sitting empty at the moment?

You’d be doing well not to be sharing a bed with 4 Brazilian lads

1 Like

Is there though? Were they not just converted.

Three problems with that.

1. It’s from a year ago. Presumably it’d be even less now
  2. That’s a high end number we estimate that there are about 2,000 at most left.
  3. The source of the information has an incentive to exaggerate. Director of the Residential Landlords Association

I can’t imagine there’s many landlords who have beds sitting empty, out of laziness, when they could be getting a grand a month for them.

The Government should build a load of one bed student apartment type things, ensuite room but with a shared kitchen and rent them to people on lower income. Going back to the days of the bedsit is not the way forward

1 Like

The bedsit rule is stupid, is it not just like renting a room in a house with 20 Brazilians, where you have to share the kitchen and bathroom facilities unless your the one with the En-suite?

Ya but that’s illegal too mate.

I agree with this, what was the logic behind banning bedsits?

Oh right, better make a couple of calls so. :slight_smile:

Nice one happened recently. A friend bought a house so moved out of his very nice apartment. He recommended his friend to take the apartment and the letting agency agreed, put up the rent by a grand. The new guy agreed the rent and moved in. Then submitted a copy of the lease agreement for the guy who had moved out and a letter saying he was very sorry but it has come to his attention that the previous tenant only paid X amount and so it would be illegal for him to pay more than 4% above that.

1 Like

:rollseyes:

Your friend sounds like a right snowflake cunt

2 Likes