Curious horsey phrases used by horsey people

He mustn’t have stuck out his aul landing gear

That phrase is not by any stretch exclusive to horse racing but it’s giving you so many giggles it feels a bit mean of me to point this out.

I’m fully aware of this but it’s curious that simpleton horsey folk use the phrase it in relation to horses. It feels a bit mean of me to point out it’s unlikely that a horse would owe anything to a human being. “You know that tenner I borrowed off you? I’m never giving it back to you.”

Surely the horse owes the sheer joy it gets at getting the opportunity have a dwarf strapped to its back and a bit jammed into its teeth, to the human being? You know how horsey folk say “oh he loves to run that horse”, that kinda of thing I’d say.

It’s a phrase that can be used in many contexts, horses or not Here’s an example that might help you understand.

Celtic fan A ‘Can’t believe Henrik is playing with Utd, what a cunt’’
Celtic fan B ‘I don’t mind really, after the memories he gave us down the years he owes us nothing’

[quote=“Lazarus, post: 915229, member: 286”]It’s a phrase that can be used in many contexts, horses or not Here’s an example that might help you understand.

Celtic fan A ‘Can’t believe Henrik is playing with Utd, what a cunt’’
Celtic fan B ‘I don’t mind really, after the memories he gave us down the years he owes us nothing’

'[/quote]

I’m not disagreeing with that, pal. For the third time, it amuses me greatly that people use it in relation to an animal. Hence the post in this thread.

You’re a bit odd mate

Likewise with yourself, pal. Don’t think you understand the thread title but not to worry.

People often use the phrase with objects as well as people. You buy something, you get your use/value out of it, hence it doesn’t owe you anything.

You buy a horse for €20,000, it wins you €50,000 it doesn’t owe you anything
You buy a car for €5k, you knock around 100,000km out of it, it doesn’t owe you anything

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 915249, member: 1786”]People often use the phrase with objects as well as people. You buy something, you get your use/value out of it, hence it doesn’t owe you anything.

You buy a horse for €20,000, it wins you €50,000 it doesn’t owe you anything
You buy a car for €5k, you knock around 100,000km out of it, it doesn’t owe you anything[/quote]

These punters don’t own the horse though, pal. Why would it owe them anything? They don’t hang around with it.

It doesn’t owe them anything mate. They said that.

That’s why it’s a curious phrase, mate. There’s no real need to state it. As I say, a racehorse is highly unlikely to owe the man on the street anything. We’re on the same page here.

FAO of horsey posters: Can you please provide an overview of Bayan’s chances today using curious horsey phrases used by horsey people? Any insights on ground, trip, trainer, gnd and jockey booking would be much appreciated.

Bayan will appreciate the drying ground. He’s not one for wanting to get his toe in. He travelled over well and has eaten up every morning since. His jockey Davy Condon gets on well with the horse and this should be an advantage. Its a big field but on his runs to date Bayan has loved the hustle and bustle of big fields. He’ll get plenty of cover throughout I’d say.

After his spin around Cheltenham in December its clear the horse likes the track. He should have no problem with the undulations, hill or going left handed. Theres plenty of dangers in the field but Bayan is in at a good weight and is tearing up the gallops at home. He should go close and sure if he doesn’t he owes us all nothing anyway.

He’s game as a pebble and the smart money is on him.

[quote=“Mac, post: 915410, member: 109”]Bayan will appreciate the drying ground. He’s not one for wanting to get his toe in. He travelled over well and has eaten up every morning since. His jockey Davy Condon gets on well with the horse and this should be an advantage. Its a big field but on his runs to date Bayan has loved the hustle and bustle of big fields. He’ll get plenty of cover throughout I’d say.

After his spin around Cheltenham in December its clear the horse likes the track. He should have no problem with the undulations, hill or going left handed. Theres plenty of dangers in the field but Bayan is in at a good weight and is tearing up the gallops at home. He should go close and sure if he doesn’t he owes us all nothing anyway.[/quote]

Lovely stuff. Where did he finish in December? Has he ever won a race?

He’s won 5 times, 2nd 5 times, and 3rd 3 times, earning his owners [SIZE=3]nearly £77,000.
He owes them nothing[/SIZE]

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 915415, member: 1786”]He’s won 5 times, 2nd 5 times, and 3rd 3 times, earning his owners [SIZE=3]nearly £77,000.
He owes them nothing[/SIZE][/quote]

Thanks. I’ll probably back him on the course.

He was 2nd in December behind Samtegal. They re-oppose today on 8lbs better terms in Bayans favour which could be critical to the outcome. If Bayan can reproduce the form of that race coupled with the guts and determination he showed in Listowel (which would be a much tighter track than Cheltenham its worth pointing out) then he shouldn’t be out of the frame.

His trainer had the winner of this race a couple of years ago so he knows what it takes to get a horse ready for the day.

• [insert horse’s name] doesn’t act on this ground;