Daily Debate - Joe Canning v Seamus Callanan

In fairness it’s what you’d expect from a scumbag up on charges.

1 Like

Fuck, what is Joe up for?

What’s joe charged with ?

Talking absolute scuttle with mary mcaleese, 6 months hes looking at

That’s the thing with Callinan. You dont nearly appreciate him half enough until you see him in the flesh. His movement is unreal and not something that will be noticed or picked up on TV by many of the armchair experts on here. With Joe you’ll generally find him where you left him. For some on here it is the line balls for the Queens visit to Croke Park or having a stall at the ploughing championship that defines greatness in their eyes. Seamie has 3 All Ireland medals against Brian Cody’s Kilkenny. Joe has 1 AI against Waterford. That says it all.

1 Like

Clever movement is the most underrated skill in GAA. Michael Murphy has the same problem in football - lads who are much bigger than their opponents at underage don’t tend to have it for obvious reasons. But on all other measures Canning is a better hurler than Callinan.

Murphy’s movement was outstanding for a goal v Mayo in an all Ireland a few years back. He’s very good at creating space imo

That was a long ball in that he caught on the edge of the square against poor Kevin Keane who was like a child trying to tackle him, there was no movement in it at all. I’d say the last time Donegal tried Murphy at full forward for a full game was in 2015 against Justy Mcmahon where they sent ball into him as fast as possible everytime, Justy outscored Murphy from play on the day. Paddy McBrearty is a forward with clever movement, Murphy has none.

Ah there was movement alright.

He makes a darting run and his man follows him. His marker losers track of the ball and Murphy out jumps him then. The behind the goals angle shows it well. He’s well able to create space imo.

Murphy has excellent appreciation of space and how to open things up for his teammates as opposed to making burns into space. His flicks to McHugh in the 2014 semi final were exquisite examples of this

2 Likes

Yeah, Murphy mainly plays out the field now. What I find they try to do once or twice per half is have him ghost forward to be the recipient of a long, high ball in.

It usually involves a ball into the inside line with Murphy not actively involved in play and loitering out around midfield. The ball then gets hand passed around and recycled back out to the half forward line.

The little bit of hand passing can move the full back line out of position and Murphy sneakily starts jogging in towards goal away from play.

Then if the one on one is on someone will try to find him.

But it’s not a load of different runs and constant movement like Callanan has mastered.

There’s no real comparison between moving in hurling and football. In hurling you should constantly be moving as a goalie can find a full forward nowadays. In Gaelic that doesn’t really work so you’ve to be more subtle.

Aye that’s more vision than movement though, Canning has that as well. Murphy and McBrearty are not a bad comparison to Canning and Callinan actually, both excellent players, one has much better movement than the other but also no arguing who the better player is.

Has McBrearty been the top scorer from play by far in the last 10 years?

fucking bogball… really lads?

Sure he only made his debut 9 years ago and plays much of his football in Ulster, not in the Munster hurling championship where defending is optional.

1 Like

I agree with the first bit, but you’re seething in the second part, which lets the first part down.
To play well in the forwards repeatedly, you need a dominant half back line, which JC has only had on rare occasions, or a manager shrude enough to counteract any weakness here by compressing the space, leaving two up, which again would leave callanan far more dangerous due to his movement.
Callanan has had the opportunity to play with some of the finest half back lines to ever play the game. JC simply hasn’t. Half backs, on occasion. Half back lines, we were scrubbing around for 15 years looking for a dominant chb.
Joe’s extra curricular activities are neither here nor there.
The odd encounter I’ve had with him he has been unfailingly polite, but callanan is also a gent of the highest order (he’s one of the greatest forwards to ever play the game imho). One thing about JC is the way people climb into him for using his profile to make a living. He’s no fcuking bressie, he’s got his profile through dedication and supreme talent. Nobody has given him anything, nor has he taken anything from anybody else. I can’t understand it.
If any senior Irish sportsperson is called upon by the govt to meet a visiting head of state, then it would be churlish to refuse other than on moral or humanitarian grounds. As the peace process has transformed the island for the better, one could argue that the moral imperative is actually to extend openly the hand of friendship to the queen. I find the bitterness difficult to understand.
I’m on record as saying that, God forbid, I think tipp play the game the right way, without nastiness or bile or filth. It’s why the recent trilogy Vs Galway was so great. Three great games, no pulling ,dragging or whacking off the ball.

3 Likes