Daily Debate - Joe Canning v Seamus Callanan

Vintage Joe

5 Likes

Tessio wouldn’t have got past Ballinasloe if Galway had lost that day

1 Like

Do you think callanan’s movement is his own and Galway being static is Joe’s fault?

Callanan never challenged himself, he was happy to stay at Everton.

I take comfort knowing cian lynch is better than both of these great hurlers .

It isn’t a case of Galway being static, he was a fairly static full forward in every team he played be it underage, LIT, Portumna etc Majority of the time it wasn’t an issue due to his touch, wrists, size and eye but has led to occasions where teams were able to limit his impact by bottling him up.

It’s not a massive knock on him, his strengths lie in other areas but his movement was one of his obvious weak points but his other abilities for the most part more than made up for it. He always was a relatively static hurler in terms of movement, I doubt any lad marking him ever worried too much about joe pulling him out of position or killing him in terms of clever subtle movement - he had a different arsenal of skills.

Some pass from Joe in fairness. Especially in the context of a draw game deep into injury time. Couldn’t have placed it any better unless he strolled down the field and shoved it into Shane Maloney’s paw.

6 Likes

Which do I prefer being driven in?
Depends

Joe is clutch. Sheamy is fairweather.

I raise you this pass cc @Thomas_Brady

https://youtu.be/9tS81jDtgAA

On second viewing, the one handed hurley pass before that. Wow

2 Likes

That’s very true, and largely the reason why Galway eventually won the big one and almost followed it up.

I spose if he had similar quality around him all of his Galway days they, and he, would have been a lot more successful.

You’ll get that in championship football I spose.

Look at the time on the clock there @anon60384913

mousey was ball hopping for the craic and the tipp lads thought he was serious!

The look up before he hit it, some ball

Oh it is serious, serious business, we need to sort out these two young men before the chosen one get through to the elite round of voting . It’s all still up in the air as far as I’m concerned. Hopefully we can sort it out soon . Re-count the votes in the morning.

The greatest assist in sporting history right there

1 Like

Up to 2015.

That was against Clare. Canning was destroying Cork at senior the same year. I was at that match in Ennis, Callanan was OK.

If you actually watched hurling Canning rotates through several positions every game since 2013, occasionally ordained from the sideline, mostly himself.

Maloney did well also, calmness to beat the struggling Tipp defender and create space. It was an awesome moment. A very cocky Tipp woman had to deliver a pint to me afterwards outside an Irish bar in Chatelet-Les Halles. In fairness to her she was very good natured in defeat.

3 Likes