Daily Debate - Joe Canning v Seamus Callanan

Callanan is absolutely brilliant though. I could watch him all day. He moves like a thoroughbred racehorse.
It’s I nice debate, but the only way you could really compare two forwards is if they played on the same team.
I don’t think JC moves as much traditionally as firstly he didn’t have to for most of his early career as he could largely best any defender wan on wan, and secondly because he didn’t get much quality ball to work with.
Tipp have generally had better hurlers out the field.

I was at the aisfs Vs tipp for the most part. Callanan was brilliant in them all. The one tipp won by a point, callanan was called for not contributing enough, but of you were there, his workrate and movement were phenomenal

1 Like

He is a brilliant full forward.
Luckily we had Daithi in great form in 2017 to keep him contained, 0-2 from play.

1 Like

Indeed. Daithi in that form was unmarkable.

1 Like

Remember when Kyle Hayes mowed Joe down in 2018 (back when there used be hurling on the telly and pubs open to talk about it in). Jesus a few Galway heads around me nearly exploded. Grown men, on the brink of tears. That’s how much he means to Galway

2 Likes

I was as disappointed with him in that incident. I can understand the lure of getting a yellow or worse for Kyle, particularly given his performance that day, but he overplayed it. A bit of cuteness is no harm, call it competitiveness even, but lowering his head on the deck, almost winking Ronaldo style as the crowd bayed, was hard to stomach.

Callanan on the other hand exceeded expectations

1 Like

In fairness it’s what you’d expect from a scumbag up on charges.

1 Like

Fuck, what is Joe up for?

What’s joe charged with ?

Talking absolute scuttle with mary mcaleese, 6 months hes looking at

That’s the thing with Callinan. You dont nearly appreciate him half enough until you see him in the flesh. His movement is unreal and not something that will be noticed or picked up on TV by many of the armchair experts on here. With Joe you’ll generally find him where you left him. For some on here it is the line balls for the Queens visit to Croke Park or having a stall at the ploughing championship that defines greatness in their eyes. Seamie has 3 All Ireland medals against Brian Cody’s Kilkenny. Joe has 1 AI against Waterford. That says it all.

1 Like

Clever movement is the most underrated skill in GAA. Michael Murphy has the same problem in football - lads who are much bigger than their opponents at underage don’t tend to have it for obvious reasons. But on all other measures Canning is a better hurler than Callinan.

Murphy’s movement was outstanding for a goal v Mayo in an all Ireland a few years back. He’s very good at creating space imo

That was a long ball in that he caught on the edge of the square against poor Kevin Keane who was like a child trying to tackle him, there was no movement in it at all. I’d say the last time Donegal tried Murphy at full forward for a full game was in 2015 against Justy Mcmahon where they sent ball into him as fast as possible everytime, Justy outscored Murphy from play on the day. Paddy McBrearty is a forward with clever movement, Murphy has none.

Ah there was movement alright.

He makes a darting run and his man follows him. His marker losers track of the ball and Murphy out jumps him then. The behind the goals angle shows it well. He’s well able to create space imo.

Murphy has excellent appreciation of space and how to open things up for his teammates as opposed to making burns into space. His flicks to McHugh in the 2014 semi final were exquisite examples of this

2 Likes

Yeah, Murphy mainly plays out the field now. What I find they try to do once or twice per half is have him ghost forward to be the recipient of a long, high ball in.

It usually involves a ball into the inside line with Murphy not actively involved in play and loitering out around midfield. The ball then gets hand passed around and recycled back out to the half forward line.

The little bit of hand passing can move the full back line out of position and Murphy sneakily starts jogging in towards goal away from play.

Then if the one on one is on someone will try to find him.

But it’s not a load of different runs and constant movement like Callanan has mastered.