Daily debate roberto Carlos/Cafu v Marcelo/dani alves

Thuram played most of his football at centre back but a bit like Maldini, he was a superb full back.

The game has changed, see the difference Matt Doherty made to the Ireland team against Denmark compared to Coleman. He was at fault for a goal but got a goal as well and was at the centre of everything Ireland did going forward. Much better than just having a steady full back there

It’s pairing to be fair.

Dockery was the reason Ireland went one behind with a scandalous piece of defending.

Didnt he get two goals from full back in a world cup semi final?

Cafu beats them all on his own with his cap

Yes. Larry White and Desailly were the centre back pairing then but Thuram moved into the centre as they stepped away from the international scene.

Lixarazu was some player

2 Likes

You could play him anywhere across the back.

Another great full back as was Vincent Candela, his understudy.

He was also the reason they equalised and the reason they played well. Well worth it

Carlos was an excellent attacking left back with a great engine but was a fairly average defender. He was a better athlete than Marcelo but Marcelo has far more technical ability.

Cafu was a Rolls Royce who made it look easy and never seemed under pressure with or without the ball while Alves was a highly effective players wasn’t on the same level as Cafu in terms of all round game

A proper defender can do that. Not too many of them. Azpilicueta is to be fair.

1 Like

Zanetti

2 Likes

Hes a terrific player. Ivanovic was another one.

Ashley Cole was another world class full back as detestable as he was

:heart_eyes:

Nope. He was the reason they went one behind. They didn’t play well either. He was shit. I’d have slaughtered him in the dressing from for s scandalous piece of defending.

I always loved Srna and could never understand why he didn’t go to a top club. He was a fantastic player.

I meant presently, plenty of them back in the day.

Zambrotta was world class too.

Jesus a football manager legend from my early days. I haven’t heard his name in a long time.