Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

He took some abuse

What struck me also was his ability to perform at that extraordinary level and get the best out of his teammates while at the same time all the external forces of cocaine, the mafia, media, alcohol and relationship issues that were all going on in the background. The mental and physical resolve he had was unreal.

3 Likes

That fucker should have been jailed for that challenge. Outrageous.

I think a few things contributed to his drug use. I think he had a party lifestyle in him, given his ability he had ferocious pressure and cocaine was freely available. Then he got hooked and it killed him.

So sad.

Everyone needs a few hobbies

Apparently he partied Sunday to Wednesday in Naples and then traìned like a mad yoke from Wednesday to Saturday to get himself ready for a match on Sunday afternoon. He was a pure bred.

10 Likes

RIP

The Greatest

2 Likes

even Ewan agrees

Ewan MacKenna
@EwanMacKenna

Will leave in-depth tributes on Diego Maradona to others but greatest of all for me and, like most true geniuses, a deeply flawed human and tortured soul when not doing what he did best which was leaving people stunned at what should have been impossible.

1 Like

Seems like he surrounded himself with yes men and nobody could ever guide him. It was very funny at the time but he was in some state at that Argentina match at the 2018 World Cup

Peter Reid likely to catch up with this news around 9 o’clock.

6 Likes

The greatest of all time

Si yo fuera Maradona…

La vida es una tombola, por seguro.

1 Like

:grin: :grin:

I think Ireland played Argentina around 1978/79. I remember reading about this boy wonder before the '78 World Cup.

1 Like

I’m sure there’ll be a few here that will say some other plodder was better but what he did for Napoli and Argentina will never ever be achieved by another football player for their club and country again.

2 Likes

What a player and what a life he led the good the bad the ugly the ridiculous the sublime all thrown in RIP to a legend

:joy::joy:

Did he break the world transfer fee twice with Barcelona and then Napoli?

Has anyone else ever done that?