Diet & Nutrition

Today my diet has consisted mainly of almonds and 85% Lindt dark chocolate.

I often get that before one of your or Bean’s PMs.

A piercing pain in your gut?

surprised a man in your shape has a doctor kev…

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 775853, member: 168”]Caffeine is a natural stimulant tho, that humans having being enjoying for thousands of years- You’d want to be having ridiculous amounts of a very high dosage to have a severe affect on your body. A couple of cups a day will not harm you.

Yeah there are some risks to high amounts, but the there are plenty of positives too - Liver protection, alzheimers and parkinsons are both reduced and it seems to aid in protection against some cancers will being possibly the cause of another.

Moderation.[/quote]

How do they know this? Do they take a sample of people who have healthy livers, don’t have alzheimers etc and ask them if they drink coffee. If they say yes then they deduce coffee reduces the risk of these diseases.

Where is the evidence of how coffee actually reduces the risk?

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 776008, member: 24”]How do they know this? Do they take a sample of people who have healthy livers, don’t have alzheimers etc and ask them if they drink coffee. If they say yes then they deduce coffee reduces the risk of these diseases.

Where is the evidence of how coffee actually reduces the risk?[/quote]
It’s a widely believed fact.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 776008, member: 24”]How do they know this? Do they take a sample of people who have healthy livers, don’t have alzheimers etc and ask them if they drink coffee. If they say yes then they deduce coffee reduces the risk of these diseases.

Where is the evidence of how coffee actually reduces the risk?[/quote]

I’m not sure, mate. Just going by what I’ve read on various sites etc. I can look into for you if you wish?

I’m pretty sure that mice are involved somewhere along the line tho. And we all know that mice are the smartest creatures on the planet, just ask Douglas Adams.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 776018, member: 168”]I’m not sure, mate. Just going by what I’ve read on various sites etc. I can look into for you if you wish?

I’m pretty sure that mice are involved somewhere along the line tho. And we all know that mice are the smartest creatures on the planet, just ask Douglas Adams.[/quote]

No you’re grand bro. Just wondering where they get some of this shit.

Runt is on the ball as always

I know the links to aiding cognitive skills and combating Alzheimer’s etc have been around for years. But as Glas says, you read these things and they become widely believed.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 775779, member: 168”]From a fitness guru blog thingy…

One of the things I’ve written a lot about over the last couple of decades is caffeine, including specifically about the beverages which contain it: coffee and tea.

Both have a wide variety of fascinating benefits but tea is often considered the “good guy” and coffee is often considered the “bad guy”.

Now to some extent, for gym-goers, this is justified. Tea has numerous health benefits and green tea also improves insulin function, burns fat and improves exercise performance. Coffee, on the other hand, impairs insulin function (“acutely” - in the short term), doesn’t burn fat (except arguably, green coffee) and as I’ve written many times before, coffee impairs the performance-enhancing effects of the caffeine it contains.

However, more and more research is making it quite clear that coffee is actually a very healthy beverage. I first wrote about the many healthy benefits of coffee almost ten years ago and now the evidence is overwhelming.

So despite the fact that it seemed to lose the head-to-head battle with green tea that I referred to above and you may not want to have it with a high-carb meal, there’s more to this story.

For instance, regarding insulin - coffee curbs insulin function for a few hours after you take it but long-term it decreases diabetes risk. So even though it throws a spanner (that’s a “monkey wrench” to Americans) in your insulin function in the short term, it protects it in the long term.

Even more impressive are the results of a huge study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine. It found that those who drank several cups of coffee a day had a significantly lower risk of all-cause mortality (dying) than those who didn’t drink coffee. So coffee can actually help keep the Grim Reaper from your door!!

But let’s get to the topic that originally inspired me to look at this subject - discussed in the Mirror Newspaper a couple of days ago…

Many people worry about their liver, either because they’re always being told to “detox” or because they drink alcohol or do drugs (in some bodybuilder’s cases, steroids) or because they eat too much (liver damage from over-eating has now become more common than liver disease from booze). Well guess what? Coffee protects your liver - big time!

A review in the journal Hepatology looked at several of the best studies on this topic and showed that coffee very significantly decreased liver cancer and a more recent study from the same journal confirms earlier studies showing that coffee protects against liver damage.

Here’s the question I always ask when talking about coffee’s amazing protective effects on the liver…what is the first thing these “diet detox” gurus usually tell you to cut out of your diet? Yep, coffee and caffeine - oooh the irony…because the liver IS the detox organ…without it, you can’t even “detox” a bowl of cheerios!!!

Just goes to show you how many respected diet “experts” there are out there who give people diet advice and don’t have a frikin clue![/quote]
That’s one of those ridiculous generalisations based on some partly relevant data. Coffee reduces liver cancer (allegedly) so it’s good for detoxing and for your liver overall. There’s more to health than avoiding one specific type of cancer.

Is this based on your doctor thinking salt consumption is lower than reported or that the threshold should be higher than generally advised? In Ireland anyway all the research suggests the average adult consumes too much salt. But are they using the wrong benchmark?

Wel[quote=“Rocko, post: 776149, member: 1”]Is this based on your doctor thinking salt consumption is lower than reported or that the threshold should be higher than generally advised? In Ireland anyway all the research suggests the average adult consumes too much salt. But are they using the wrong benchmark?[/quote]
l it’s a few years back, but the gist of it was the western world is looking at salt wrong. There is the refined salt that people pour over chips etc and there is the salt in food. Thats over blown about how bad it is for you, that the real problem was the amount of food, the type of food and how it was cooked people were intaking, for some reason salt had been associated with unhealthy living, mistakenly.

We don’t get enough of good salts from foods as one we cook alot of it out. In Ireland salt was associated with heart issues, but really it was the rest of the diet and living was the issue.

He’s not alone these days and more and more research shows the health issues lie elsewhere. He was just unusual and ahead in his thinking for an Irish doctor. He travelled the world studying other medicines including African and Chinese and was the only Irish doctor qualified in Accupuncture at the time, or so he believed anyway.

The main negative salt can have is help you retain water. That’s why athletes need to monitor it before games etc.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 776159, member: 273”]Wel
l it’s a few years back, but the gist of it was the western world is looking at salt wrong. There is the refined salt that people pour over chips etc and there is the salt in food. Thats over blown about how bad it is for you, that the real problem was the amount of food, the type of food and how it was cooked people were intaking, for some reason salt had been associated with unhealthy living, mistakenly.

We don’t get enough of good salts from foods as one we cook alot of it out. In Ireland salt was associated with heart issues, but really it was the rest of the diet and living was the issue.

He’s not alone these days and more and more research shows the health issues lie elsewhere. He was just unusual and ahead in his thinking for an Irish doctor. He travelled the world studying other medicines including African and Chinese and was the only Irish doctor qualified in Accupuncture at the time, or so he believed anyway.

The main negative salt can have is help you retain water. That’s why athletes need to monitor it before games etc.[/quote]

You just don’t know any average Joe Soaps do you? The people in your life are fascinating.

But the above sounds about right… It’s, as always, the processed foods that are fucking people up and they always have a high salt content to go with it.

I did say that else where…and I’ve read around. For every article that says It’s good for you another says it’s bad. Again, moderation. But I vow to look into this more deeply.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 776163, member: 168”]You just don’t know any average Joe Soaps do you? The people in your life are fascinating.

But the above sounds about right… It’s, as always, the processed foods that are fucking people up and they always have a high salt content to go with it.[/quote]

I think alot more people than you realize are facinating. You got to talk and ask questions. The sad thing is that you find it so facinating someone would try and explore his trade a bit more outside the normal fill people with prescription drugs that some guy who brought you golfing pedaled to ya that are pretty useless anyway.

I never said any of that, but carry on.

Why else would you find my doctor facinating? That’s the only info I gave you.

avoid processed food and no cooking your food with vegetable oil or magarine…by and large its down its down to your genetic make up - some people can tolerate more salt than others…

What’s the difference between sunflower oil and vegetable oil?