Documentaries worth watching

The Revisionaries:
All about the Texas State Board of Education and their approval of textbooks for high schools. Generally, what is decided in Texas is applied across the country. Focuses mainly on a dentist by the name of Don McLeroy who is on the board, and is also a creationist. A lot of footage of the meetings the board held and the amendments they make to the texts are featured. Science is the main battleground but social studies gets a mention later on. Some of the amendments will have you incredulous. Mad stuff really, the politicising of education in the States is mental.

NY77: The Coolest Year in Hell:
Class. New York in 1977 was a seedy, nasty, run down, downright dangerous place. This doc goes through 1977 in New York and the cultural aspects of it as well. Times Square being a grimy, pro riddled place, the Bronk looking like a war zone, Son of Sam and the fear that gripped the city, the Blackout, a dirty mayoral election, graffiti on the trains, the first swingers club, sex, drugs and the music. Punk at CBGB, the explosion of disco and hip-hop, the decadence of Club 54. A great watch and available here

Apologies if this has been posted. If it hasn’t I advise all football fans to watch it quick. 5 part series, you can find the rest from part 1 here. Seriously brilliant, especially if you happen to follow a team from the AFC(I don’t)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgsAdf1RcdU

[QUOTE=“Piles Hussain, post: 1027143, member: 363”]The Revisionaries:
All about the Texas State Board of Education and their approval of textbooks for high schools. Generally, what is decided in Texas is applied across the country. Focuses mainly on a dentist by the name of Don McLeroy who is on the board, and is also a creationist. A lot of footage of the meetings the board held and the amendments they make to the texts are featured. Science is the main battleground but social studies gets a mention later on. Some of the amendments will have you incredulous. Mad stuff really, the politicising of education in the States is mental.
[/QUOTE]

The real odd and scary thing about some of those creationist fuckers in the US, is that many of them are actually quite well educated, at least in the sense that they have advanced degrees, often in scientific fields. McLeroy for example has a degree in Electrical Engineering, before going on to become a DOCTOR of Dental surgery.

A mate of mine who is a horse vet, he went to vet school at Texas A&M. He recounted a story to me one time about when he was in Vet school when he and four other students and two professors were on there way to some place for some field trip. The conversation in the van turned to evolution, and it turns out that three of the students and one of the professors happened to be creationists who didn’t believe in evolution. These were people who’s whole fucking careers are based on the scientific method. It’s one thing if they were uneducated hill billies, then you’d say fair enough I could see why they might buy into the Adam and Eve, God created the world in six days fairytale, but it boggles the mind to think what kind of mental gymnastics it takes hold those beliefs after so many years of schooling in the sciences.

[QUOTE=“fucked out, post: 881541, member: 1495”]The Act of Killing by Joshua Oppenheimer

Extraordinary[/QUOTE]

Finally got around to seeing this.
Extraordinary is almost an understatement. Equal parts disturbing and surreal. Left me almost speechless.

So eh, there’s this*

“Incredible”, thats a hell of an apt description for one part of it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobZMvyT1iM

• @Rocko feel free to remove should you feel the need

Currently in the middle of watching Road

A documentary about two generations of the Dunlop family and motorcycle road racing. Some balls on these men to do it

Not so much a documentary, but a very revealing interview with the greatest comedian, satirist, social commentator ever, George Carlin. Gives some great insight into where he came from and what shaped him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewUVZZMXT8

Balls.ie have listed 35 documentaries to watch over the holidays

http://balls.ie/football/30-sports-documentaries-get-christmas/

Watching tiger spy in the jungle, David Attenborough. Well good

The Imposter

Story about a 13 year old who goes missing in Texas. 16 Year old shows up in Spain 3 years later and claims to be him.

Watched the Crazy Gang there.

Very entertaining I must say. I liked the way the trouble John Scales and Terry Phelan adapting was addressed although no real insight was given as to how they came around.

John Fashanu comes across very strangely in it.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1067919, member: 24”]Watched the Crazy Gang there.

Very entertaining I must say. I liked the way the trouble John Scales and Terry Phelan adapting was addressed although no real insight was given as to how they came around.

John Fashanu comes across very strangely in it.[/QUOTE]
haven’t seen this particular programme But always thought fashanau came across a bit odd when on tv…similar to Ian Wright…a lot of anger bubbling under the surface…mad for confrontation… fashanu was a barnados kid IIRC…

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1067919, member: 24”]Watched the Crazy Gang there.

John Fashanu comes across very strangely in it.[/QUOTE]

From Terry Gibson’s blog.

Crazy Gang Documentary

December 27, 2014

Crazy Gang Documentary.

Despite reports to the contrary last night was my first opportunity to watch the BT documentary about the Crazy Gang. It was widely reported that I attended the private screening at BT Tower earlier in the month. Like so much of this documentary that was not true.

After hearing reports from those that attended the private screening I was aware of the majority of its content but was always going to wait until I saw it for myself to make a comment.

I think what came across in general was a group of honest determined footballers who all had a common goal to succeed against all odds. I was however disappointed with the minimal editing of the man who made it all possible, Bobby Gould.

His contribution was unbelievable. He took over a difficult team at a difficult time and won the FA cup in his first season. Perhaps his contribution wasn’t controversial enough for the film makers.

Still there was plenty of controversy to keep them happy and to guide the documentary in the way they wanted and probably always intended to.

John Fashanu and Vinnie Jones unbelievably are still willing to fulfil and perpetuate the criteria of being ‘Hard men’ despite now being middle aged men!

It wouldn’t be so bad if what they were saying was true but unfortunately most of it wasn’t. The majority of their stories were embellished with falsities.

Do people really believe that John Fashanu controlled and dominated our dressing room, ruling by fear of him? Does anybody really believe him when he said he locked people in a boot of a car, that he would tell someone they wouldn’t be allowed to eat for 2 days and that someone was going to be watching over them 24/7 so that they couldn’t? The bloke is deluded. In truth WE tolerated him and laughed at him, he really was and still is a clown.

The only one he controlled was his mate Jonesy. Hence why Vinnie still comes out with false stories backing his old mucker’s tales.

Nobody had their calf obliterated in a changing room fight. With blood all over the place and 30 stitches needed. It is all complete nonsense. Yes there was a stupid wrestling fight between John Fashanu and a younger player called Robbie Turner. Fash stripped down to his underpants and covered himself in baby oil in preparation for the bout. Robbie Turner stood his ground and they wrestled each other, no punches were thrown. Robbie couldn’t get a grip of Fash due to the coating of baby oil and at some stage he whacked his calf on a bench. Yes he was in agony and the fight stopped. It turned out he had done some serious damage to his calf muscle with the blow and if I remember rightly he did need surgery on it at a later stage. There was no blood and no Fash did not throw him about like a rag doll but Vinnie will never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

It was also good to see John Barnes bristle with irritation over Fashanu’s claims of the intimidation used supposedly in the Wembley tunnel before the final. The truth is there wasn’t any. That story certainly has grown some legs over the years. Similarly the tackle by Vinnie on Steve McMahon in the first minute of the game. A tackle by the way that Vinnie thinks won us the cup. The tackle was in the 8th minute not the first.

I hope however the good work and ability of so many is not overlooked with the making of this documentary. We had a great bond and work ethic that was second to none. We had some very talented footballers in that team whose talents had not been recognised at that time and disappointingly this was not the focus of last night’s documentary

and black like @caoimhaoin

Dan Breen - My fight for Irish freedom (Can be found on Youtube) Documentary on Dan Breen and the South Tipperary brigade. Brilliantly made documentary by TG4.
One million Dubliners. A two hour award winning documentary on Glasnevin Cemetery and it’s occupants. Can be bought in Tesco, was on RTE early December.
Paraula de Pep English. 50 minute documentary on Pep Guardiola’s first season at Barcelona. In Catalan but with English subtitles on Youtube.

McCullin is a fantastic doc for anyone into the history of the planet over the last 50 years.

Unreal.

Just watched Blackfish - a documentary about SeaWorld and Killer Whales. Makes you think about holding animals in captivity such as zoos and the likes.

Why? Is it a big money spinner?

[movie]Virunga (tt3455224)[/movie]

Virunga movie on Netflix worth a watch- About the struggle of the Congolese national park, civil war and a greedy oil company. The western world has really raped the fuck out of Africa.