Documentaries worth watching

Have you watched the Bad Boys one?

Nope,tell me about it!

The story overlaps the Celtics/ Lakers one … The Detriot Pistons journey to winning the championship in 89 - 90 … They were a nasty, gritty bunch who bullied everyone and anyone - real get in your face stuff.

Well worth a watch.

2 Likes

Excellent!! I also didn’t want the best of enemies doc to finish so looking forward to this

The Jordan Rules is a tremendous book if you can get your hands on it.

About the Bulls first title but naturally from the name outlines the Pistons strategy.

Watching blue planet 2 here, it’s savage

2 Likes

I watched the 30 for 30 ESPN on Jimmy Connors run in the 1991 US Open. Very enjoyable. Connors at 39 years of age after being injured for over a year got a wild card to the 1991 US Open. He proceeded to go on an unbelievable run winning some epic battles in front of hysterical crowds. Contributions from Connors himself his wife Patti (1977 Playmate of the Year according to her on screen caption) John McEnroe and several more of Connors opponents. Connors came across as a complete cunt back in 1991 and an even bigger cunt now which made the doc all the more fascinating. 30 for 30 are generally great stories, well told.

5 Likes

You should take a look at the A Football Life documentary series - a lot of them are on youtube. Similar to Laorcha Gael (except they spend more time on the players childhood and career after football) with 30 for 30 production values and only 40 to 45 minutes long even if you have no interest in American football they are still a great watch.

The ones on coaches like Bellicheck, Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells are excellent. While the ones on Chris Speilman and Steve Gleeson are outstanding for their lives outside of football, heart wrenching stuff.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say they are 30 for 30 production values but they are good all the same. The Troy Aikman one was very good as well.

They much are closer to 30 for 30 than Laorcha Gael so.

Last Chance U Season 4 launches on Friday (Independence College again). And over on Prime, All or Nothing with the Carolina Panthers is also out on Friday.

1 Like

the all or nothings are very enjoyable fare altogether.

I see they are making a fictionalised spin off of LCU centred around Brittany Wagner from first 2 seasons. Courtney Cox to play Ms Wagner

Coach Brown is back I believe :clap:

Meh
Seems pointless importing a bus load of talent and playing against local villages. I enjoyed the novelty of the first series, but mediocre television really.
I can’t derive any pleasure in a team populated with senior players from all over competing in an intermediate championship against local sides.
Personally it seems a reflection of how bad the coaches are, not how good.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re supposed to derive pleasure from their success. The documentaries have not been held up as examples of great coaching or brilliant academic training. That’s kind of the point. This isn’t The Underdogs.

Enjoyed the first season, the last one was extremely contrived and shit. Won’t bother with the new one.

I’m not talking about myself. I’m talking about the coaching staff and the universities/colleges and towns they represent. My paragraph was, as usual, badly worded. Nonetheless, part of the programmes initial lustre was painting an underdog story, when in fact the concept is entirely the opposite

There’s a good documentary by Errol Morris about the mysterious death of CIA operative Frank Olsen in a New York hotel in 1953. Olsen’s son Eric was like a dog after a bone but stuck in there. Machiavellin maneavours that make Frank Murphy look like a choirboy.

4 hours but I was mildly enthralled. It’s called Wormwood.

Tough watch on Bbc2 now about two conjoined twins and their father and great ormonds street children’s hospital ethical discussions and dilemmas in relation to potentially separating them.

Very well and compassionately made. Don’t think anyone would ever wish to be in the father’s shoes

1 Like