Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

The Scotch can fuck off.

1 Like

Fair point. I just wanted to try Jameson 18yo, since I am certainly not going to punt €225 on a bottle for the privilege, and would have paid €20-ish for a shot. But so it went.

Love to know what the difference is between #17 “Scotch Whisky” and #26 “Whisky” is? Both have Scottish flags beside them

Caveat emptor inverted…

The bar in question, while pleasant in ways, seems to specialize to a bizarre extent in locating abysmal barmen. Was only in it last Thursday because same spot was convenient for a friend who was in town for a bit of carousing and Cheltenham watching. Could not get out myself until mid evening because I had some work to file. But we had a nice few drinks and he got a bus down to Waterford before midnight. Have no interest in horse racing but the Cheltenham vibe is always good.

Judging by the top 8 the Judging was carried out at a Wetherspoons in Derby.

2 Likes

Tipperary Distillery - anyone know who is behind it or what the back story is?

1 Like

South Tipperary tillage farmer married the daughter of a former master distiller at some Scotch distillery who is also involved. Have never tried any of their stuff so can’t say what it is like.

1 Like

@Malarkey have you ever tried Chivas Regal? Is it a triumph of marketing or actually good stuff?

Utterly Shit only for giving as gift to Japanese businessmen.

3 Likes

After s feed of green spot in the neighbours last night. It was lovely.

4 Likes

I have had a glass of Chivas Regal several times over the years. Bland. Nothing to seek out, in my view.

Of whiskies in that type of category, I find Johnnie Walker Black the most enjoyable. Bailie Nicol Jarvie, before it was taken off the market, was a nice blend.

Monkey Shoulder is a pleasant vatted malt, I think.

Is that a pub? Or a personal collection?

It’s what @Mac refers to as the cabinet in waiting.

No room in the house, he keeps these odds and ends in the shed.

@mac hasn’t a bob.

One of the bars in Cashel Palace

2 Likes

Thanks. Idle curiosity…

I think her name is Jennifer Nickerson - and as someone rightly pointed out she’s of Scottish descent and her father was a master distiller somewhere. She married a local farmers son. I haven’t tasted any of their stuff though and nor do I intend to, owing to the “Tipperary” on the bottle.

2 Likes