Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

You need an Ativan or Zanax or something like that.

1 Like

I’m just telling myself it’ll be all ok tomorrow.Ive a dose of the fear and it’s horrendous.Fuck this drinking lark. All I’ve eaten is a Jaffa cake and I picked at a spice bag that my daughter brought to me. My mate called and offered to drive me for a cure but I wasn’t able. It’s not worth it lads.
I’d kill for a zanax right now. Mrs Bradley is getting me paracetamol I’ll take maybe 3 and I might sleep.

You are some man.
@Brimmer_Bradley caused a holy show on christmas eve and he not even past the neck of the bottle.

I finished that bottle last nigh after a feed of pints. I haven’t been as sick in years.

You deserved that you were a fucking disgrace.

Last off topic post, but I’m sober, not hungover in the slightest, worked two days last week, but I’m still fearful and low about starting back at work full on tomorrow.
Fuck it, I hate the thought of it.

1 Like

Paracetamol will destroy your liver if you still have alcohol in your system.

It’s surely gone by now ? I drank over a litre of orange juice throughout the day to rehydrate that’ll flush the alcohol out.

1 Like

You should be fine.

The number of posters that cannot spell Xanax is surprising.

Can “anyone” (@Malarkey) point me in the direction of a top, top peaty scotch? I’ve been recommended Talisker or a Lagavulin but require TFK verification.

Lagavulin for me. Its expensive and peaty, not sure quite how top drawer, but of them all, I quite like it.

1 Like

SArdbeg 10yo, their standard bottle, would be right up that alley. Ardbeg Uigeadail, a cask strength, is terrific (and good value). Ardbeg Corryvreckan is more full on in ways (and likewise de facto cask strength) and might be to your liking.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is excellent and an intriguing experience. Definitely worth a go. Intense on the palate but with finesse. Laphroaig 10yo is sound entry level stuff — but definitely second when tasted beside its Ardbeg equivalent.

Lagavulin 16yo is probably the most ‘antiseptic’-scented of the Islay malts. Hardly sounds inviting but it is a great experience. One everyone should try.

I have never warmed to Bowmore, in any of its guises. Somehow cloying with its ‘gentleman’s toiletries’ notes.

Port Ellen is ludicrous prices and therefore out. Had some lovely drops of it, back in the 1990s. The special releases at 28yo plus were actually poor enough value at c £200 when released because the whisky was tilting over into woodiness. At today’s four figure prices…

Bunnahabhain is meant to be much improved this decade but I do not really know anything about it. The poor relation, when I started drinking malts. Not somewhere to start, I reckon.

Much the same story with Bruichladdich, improved but still not marquee. The Port Charlotte range is their attempt at higher quality and it is good. Octomore, which I have not tried yet, is the most heavily plated malt around.

I have tried Kilchoman a few times. Pleasant enough but cut no groove.

Caol Ila is tasty stuff. If you want to spend a few extra quid at some point, the Caol Ila 18yo is a lovely elegant Islay malt.

I have a sense that Talisker 10yo is not as good as it was. Lacks the roundness it had. But Talisker is still a compass point in taste… The 18yo is what you want (and excellent value).

I love Highland Park, from the 12yo up. Once had a bottle of Highland Park 25yo. One of the sublime whisky experiences.

By the way, Old Pulteney is a much underrated ‘coastal’ malt, salty and smokey in subtle style. The 12yo and (even more) the 17yo should be tried — and would not break the bank.

All in all, I would recommend Uigeadail and Quarter Cask as quality starting points nicely below the three figure mark.

You have a lot of good whisky to try. I am envious…

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I always enjoy these posts of yours. :+1:

No problem. I would bore for Ireland on whisk(e)y…

Not boring at all.
Are there any peaty irish whiskeys?
Going to buy some Ardbeg now.

Connemara is yer man there. If you can find a bottle of Connemara cask strength, you will be elected.

Scope around online for any Scottish malts. You would be amazed at some of the price differences (not least by comparison with the Celtic Whiskey Shop). Example: Caol Ila 18yo is €140 in CWS and £86 on The Whisky Exchange.

1 Like

Yawn

One subject posters add nothing to this site

One brain cell posters add still less.

14 Likes

By the way, did you ever have Ardbeg before? Let me know what you think of it.