Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

I didn’t that I know of, but I certainly will.
There’s some bottles on the whisky exchange (10 year old), with a couple of tasting miniatures of their other offerings.
Do you sup it straight, or with a drop of ice, or even water.
Also would you tend to sup whiskey on its own for the evening, or after a couple of pints?
Presumably after food.

I will be interested to hear your take on Ardbeg. My sense is that Ardbeg has the best balance of robustness and flavour — which is a fancy way of saying it tastes nice to me.

Funny enough, I had a couple of Ardbegs last night in the pub when I was out with a few friends. They find me drinking stuff that “smells like a bog” amusing. Since Ardbeg is strongly flavoured, I find it goes well with a pint or a large bottle of Guinness. Otherwise I like it as a nightcap (or after dinner, as you say), same as most people.

Hardly ever do I put water in whisky. Maybe an occasion with a cask strength one. I am wary of water in whisky because older whiskies in particular can ‘collapse’ with even a small amount of water. But all a matter of taste, needless to add. I know people who swear by water in whisky of whatever kind.

I can see why people might want to put ice in light whiskies such as Jameson and Cutty Sark. For Ardbeg and such like, I think ice would defeat the point of choosing that sort of robust malt. Cold compresses flavour, except with fino sherry and gin, and I reckon the whole point of Lagavulin and Highland Park and so forth is to amplify its flavour. But, different strokes…

By the way, I calculate that for the sterling equivalent of €140 on The Whisky Exchange you could get a bottle of Caol Ila 18yo and a bottle of Green Spot…

2 Likes

someone pick @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy up off the ground

5 Likes

:slight_smile:
I’ll go one bottle at time.

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Fuck off you whiskey nosed cunt

1 Like

I think you meant to say (or should have meant to say) ‘whisky-nosing cunt’. Which or whether, my nose is quite unimpaired as regards its bullshit-detecting capabilities.

As you have just witnessed.

No I meant to say Fuck off you whiskey nosed cunt

1 Like

Yes, one bottle at a time is the way to go… Was just pointing up how overpriced some whisky is in Ireland. Kinda mad.

1 Like

Ah, five senses — and not a twitter of wit between them.

Sad.

They are great posts @Malarkey. I was in World Wide Wines there in Waterford yesterday. They have lovely room of whiskeys. I bought one of those little gift pack of miniatures. Redbreast, Green Spot, Barry Crockett and something else.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Am a bit bemused that my ramblings on whisky have an audience but it is harmless fun. And a nice subject, if you have any interest at all in this kind of drink.

WWW is a great spot altogether. Those miniature packets are a lovely innovation (especially for the Barry Crockett). I find WWW have a lot of stuff not easily found elsewhere, although there is a bit of overlap with Le Caveau in Kilkenny. Staff are really pleasant too.

1 Like

My local Super Valu has a great range of Irish whiskeys for some reason. And some of them are great value. The standard Connemara there is 35 euro

I couldn’t believe the selection of whiskey in Dunnes stores today, had never looked before, they had 6 bottles of Midleton rare at 180e each which I thought was odd, a massive selection of whiskeys

1 Like

@Malarkey the Barry Crockett that’s in that set is that the stuff that sells for 200 € a bottle?

Yes, the selection is quite amazing at the moment. I guess whiskey has become hyper fashionable. The supermarkets generally have at least one good deal. That Connemara would be a nice case in point. A bottle of Powers for €20 before the Christmas is a great bargain. So was Powers Three Swallow for just over €40, as I recall.

There are some unusual malts in Maher’s on O’Connell Street, as you probably know. Had a lovely Glen Deveron in there just before Christmas. I know nowhere else in Ireland, with the exception of Galway city centre, where there are four quality pubs so close together: Maher’s, Tully’s, Downes’ and Uisce Beatha.

Yes, one and the same. I think that set is by far the best value. John’s Lane is lovely whiskey too. And nothing wrong with the other two inclusions… Enjoy.

By the way, there are people on the Irish Whiskey Society forum who know far more about whisk(e)y than I do.

Don’t really know Uisce Beatha but the other three were always gems. Tullys used to be Donie McLoughlins. It was a great pub full of characters. Mahers until recently was men only and had a great owner, a South Kilkenny man. Downses was the place where most of my peers started to drink. Again it had a great owner, one of the De Bromhead clan.

Maybe because you live there.

1 Like

Uisce Beatha is on the Quay. Used to be Nell’s, as I recall. Interesting kind of place.