Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

I’ve taught you all you know about whiskey mate.

![20181123_230608|375x500](upload://e6wJvCWUcNDdvYcOIXYg8HJ4gk.jpe

Snap

1 Like

The Cork looks rotten on that. Put it into a nice decanter.

Friday nights, sitting here on my own, drinking half a bottle of whiskey after a long stressful week, no cunt in my ear, listening to a bit of plenty.
These moments make it all worth while.

5 Likes

Mitchell’s Red Spot Whiskey. Worth 115€?

Couldn’t say, but you’ve some serious choices for that sort of money.

I see that the reaction to Red Spot’s flavour is strongly positive – especially among the ‘opinion makers’. Have not tried it yet but must get a bottle. Will not mention Yule…

I see also quite a strong view that Red Spot is rather pricey – €20-25 dearer than Redbreast 15yo, which is the obvious comparison. Seems a fair point. Prices are only going one way, though. Funny enough, whiskey is about the only item that makes me price conscious and a bit curmudgeonly.

Prices… Mitchells released a 10yo Green Spot (€200 – 1000 bottles) and a 12yo cask strength Green Spot (€1000 – 200 bottles) in 2005, celebrating their 200th anniversary. Both expressions took over ten years to sell out. I bought the 10yo in 2007 and found it nothing special – not as good, at the time, as regular Green Spot.

The other day, the 10yo Green Spot sold in a Facebook auction for €800. 288 bottles of a new single cask Green Spot sold out last week (at €195) on pre order. There was a bit of ruaille buaille when Mitchells retrospectively imposed a two bottle limit per customer and had to refund those who ordered three plus bottles.

The whole Irish whiskey thing is deeply exciting – but maybe also a bit wearying. There seems to be a new single cask Powers or a new single cask Redbreast every few months for around €300 a bottle. So maybe Red Spot is not so bad at €115… Not when callow Dingle pot still is fetching four figures.

Then again, who wants flavour when you can have lucrative exclusivity… Not everyone has a palate but anyone can count.

Yes, curmudgeonly…

6 Likes

Tesco update,

Black barell €30 down from around 50.

Crested up 2 to €27, lucky for me I picked up 3 bottles of that last week.

3 Likes

This looks like a good deal. What do the experts think?

im thinking of getting into whiskey
would your sip it or gulp it down with a load of pepsi?
when i was younger i used to drink southern comfort and TK red lemondade - or jack daniels and coke - im assuming they are much of the same thing really

3 Likes

any comments on this stuff?

8 Likes

Proper 12 clearance

I wouldn’t rub it into greyhounds

3 Likes

Get into it it’s a very gentlemanly way of unwinding, im delighted with myself personally.
Sip it.
Whatever way it gives you pleasure is the right way to drink it but most of us will think you’re a cunt if you do anything other than drink it neat.
The Jameson range has all a man ever wanted, id advise staying within it myself.

Well @iron_mike , is the Midleton drank?

Limerick has a Whiskey Celler that you can book for private parties.

Any good lads?

Put it in the Christmas cake.

Mrs ccha is putting that together downstairs and we added a liberal dose of bushmills

Not yet kid. I actually came across that post the other day on a little ramble around the forum.
I’ll save it now for the two in a row.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: