Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

That must be new.
Looks the business

You deserve a month in the hole for just posting that picture

6 Likes

I’d say your liver is humming like a finely tuned engine

A two-stroke

1 Like

This is a thread I’ve seen pop to the top of TFK over the years through my various logins but ive never read through it. Can some one tell me does whiskey brandy and the like go off if it’s been opened for, let’s say, 10 or 11 years?

Go off where?

Like milk and the likes or is it impervious to the ravages of time and oxygen

Very vague question, Id need to see a photograph

It was corked an the colour looks good.

Ready Malarkey’s post on here. Search for the term oxidization or similar

1 Like

How do you mean the colour looks good

If it’s corked it’ll be fine. If it’s uncorked then the ethanol goes and is replaced with water, which goes off. I think.

In short, it depends on how full the bottle is. If the bottle is near full there shouldn’t be much degradation, but if it’s half full of less then oxidation could effect the flavor. @Malarkey wrote a thesis on it a while ago.

Has anyone bought whiskey through Amazon and were you hit with duty? There’s redbreast out there for £30 and Green Spot for £32 but is there any wording you put on package to get it through Parcel Motel or Addresspal handy?

Yeah this is the condition I’m dealing with probably 1/4 of a bottle or less stored under a sink in the utility for 10 or 11 years taking up real estate which would be fine if it were fit to be drunk. I’m a beer and wine drinker mostly so I normally wouldn’t get into the hard stuff barring the odd medicinal hot whiskey.
Time to clean house.

Plum pudding

2 Likes

Do you no harm but might be missing something

Would you not broaden your horizons a little?