Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

What did he say?

I just walked by it in my local Super Valu. It’s 35 euro :joy:

Absolute fucking nonsense for a bottle of bog standard Bushmills

2 Likes

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Too much to summarize quickly – but centred on Waterford Distillery’s (non-haughty) emphasis on quality. MR said they probably will not bottle any of their whiskey until it is five years old (two years beyond the legal threshold, which indicates admirable confidence).

MR has a likeable willingness to call out stuff, to refuse the chancers. He also has a serious track record in producing quality whisky in various contexts.

One specific: MR’s caveats about single cask bottlings, an expression now but an article of faith in the industry’s higher reaches, were refreshing to read. One might not entirely agree but one might admire the logic.

Magazine is a tenner. Rest of contents nothing like as good but well worth picking up, if you run across it.

3 Likes

Would they have it in the Book Center?

Yes – at least, bought it in Kilkenny branch this afternoon.

1 Like

I did a turn for a chap during the yearand look what he gave me today.

15 Likes

Nice one…

Is that for sipping or keeping @Malarkey?

1 Like

Both! I’m sure Fagan will know best.

If you can get a bottle, it would likely be a nice one to keep. Have a bottle coming myself but I’ll drink it.

2 Likes

Be careful out there!

1 Like

Fair enough. I picked up a bottle last week, hopefully it’ll remain closed.

This craic has been going for years. Largely started with fake 19th century Macallans. You would know by these bottles’ svelte appearance that they are, literally, too good to be true.

Where can you buy that “Spot” whiskey in Limerick?

Green, Yellow or Red? Theres a big difference in price…

O’Briens selling Crested for 26.50… That’s a bargain.

Forgive my ignorance, but that’s not a “Spot”, is it?

25 euro currently

1 Like

O’briens in Parkway shopping centre. 50 quid for the Green Spot. Savour it.

1 Like

I’ve a choice for Christmas Eve and I’m torn.

I was gifted 2 bottles this year for various reasons, one is the top range Kilbeggan, and the other is the 'new; Midleton very rare. Which one would TFK suggest I open?

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/kilbeggan-21-year-old-limited-edition-blend