Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

U working tomorrow ?

Aye, hence why I’m stopping now.

1 Like

Would be a cunt to have another glass and get bagged in the mornin

I’m usually on the road long before the morning crew would hit their snooze button but at the same time it’s just not worth the risk anymore either.

1 Like

If you were in bed by 12 then 2 or 3 whiskeys would be well off you surely…unless youd a v heavy hand

I’ve a heavy hand

1 Like

I’ll let you try it out and tell me how you get on :grin:

1 Like

Your heavy hand?

Time to revive this thread before HBV comes back and gets notions. I’ve noted a lot of love for Jameson black barrel and have to seriously question it. I find it bland, tasteless and unexciting. I’ll defer to @Malarkey but for my money Black Bush is a far better drink at a lower price point.

I happened to have a bottle of black barrel and a bottle of black label left over from the Christmas. I’d almost favor the black label if only because it has interesting if exaggerated flavors.

1 Like

Im not a big fan of it at all. I’d have crested streets ahead of it.

1 Like

Having a drop of Writer’s Tears here. Prefer the Jameson Caskmates Stout I think it’s not as harsh

Yeah I found Writer’s Tears fairly harsh myself. Just having a Jameson and for all the very nice whiskey it;s hard to beat

How much is a bottle of Red Spot?

I met an old BOI colleague today. He was telling me about a chap in the office being gifted a bottle of Red Spot by a client at Christmas. A token of appreciation for getting some new lending facilities approved during the year apparently.

Anyway, yer man rang up to thank the customer and said that he was looking forward to making a few Irish Coffees with the Red Spot over Christmas. According to my pal, the customer flew off the handle at yer man and said he was insulted that he’d waste such a premium bottle of whiskey on Irish Coffee. While he didn’t directly curse AT the banker, he was giving it stuff like “this is a fucking joke, I can’t fucking believe this…”

Cool story, bro. Etc etc. I was amused by it.

5 Likes

120 quid or so I think

Around 100 or so in Dublin airport last month. Definitely three figures.

Sorry, only saw this post now, for some reason… And no deferral needed. Whiskey, thank god, is literally a matter of taste. Can shed no light, besides, because still a stranger to Black Barrel.

My most interesting whiskey latest was a bottle of Powers 1817 (my fourth bottle…). Really lovely stuff. The bottling was done in 2017 to celebrate 200 years of LVA in Dublin. I see it won favourite drop, by a clear margin, in a recent Irish Whiskey Society tasting.

Powers 1817 was meant only to be available in certain Dublin pubs – but you can get bottles of it now. If anyone likes single pot still in general and Powers in particular, and you see Powers 1817 in a pub, I strongly recommend trying a glass.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=powers+1817+whiskey&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvtsnjhr_gAhWuQxUIHYkjAowQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=noWTz_wBe66L5M&imgdii=01CwuOof_Ht0jM

3 Likes

That’s a very humane way of dealing with caskmates drinkers! Fair play to you! I’d have called them out.

2 Likes

Shooting would be too good for the cunt.

There’s a lot to unpack here, your actions are irrelevant but your reactions are very telling.

Basically you met some lad, probably a former boss with a known appreciation of fine whiskey and coffee, possibly even the person who bought you the red spot!. In an obsequious bid to impress him you boasted of your epicurean fondness for red spot and nespresso.
He bawled you out, told you were a fucking joke and left you crestfallenly starting to realise the vast scale of your own tasteless nouveau riche roasterishness.

Instead of dealing with the problem you’ve attributed the gigantic faux pas to an anonymous underling in another office- distancing yourself by time, location and professional standing.

Lastly you feign cool indifference and mild bemusment.

You haven’t come for the price of a bottle of red spot.
You’ve come to the INTERNET for forguveness.

All plausible enough…until we consider that I’m strictly a BAILEY’S COFFEE man.