Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Had miniature bottle of Redbreast 12 last night after a few cans of Guinness. I was a bit underwhelmed with it to be honest. I was expecting more.

1 Like

I want to save this post before you think again nd delete it.

2 Likes

Having a Dingle whiskey for the day that’s in it. The class opened the main stage for St Patrick’s Day today in Birmingham by singing the Galway Shawl and Molly Malone.

2 Likes

No Slievenamon?

They’d learned those for when they sung for Michael D when he visited so it was easier to use them again. Slievenamon is being added for next year.

In Edinburgh for the weekend, so have done a fair bit of sampling. Last night I tried Balvenie 12 yr old, Tomintoul 14 yr old, Jura 10 yr old, Auchentoshan 12 yr old and Talisker 10 yr old. The Talisker and the Balvenie were the stand outs, both excellent in different ways. Talisker very smoky and peaty, Balvenie more fruity. Hopefully pick up a bottle of each, and maybe the Jura too, in the airport if the budget allows.

On a semi related note, I’m now going to put my head in the fridge for an hour

6 Likes

Edinburgh is fantastic.

1 Like

Sure is. Did you make the best pub in the world, the Canny Man’s?

We got ensconced in the Oxford, beloved of DI rebus and never made it further. We had an absolutely brilliant weekend though. What a great city it is.

The Oxford is great too. No shortage of world class pubs.

1 Like

The view at night when you walk from the Oxford back into town of the castle walls lit up from over princess gardens side is one of the greatest cityscapes in the world.
I love how you can run down the main street, hit the parliament building, which works really well in the area, and within fifty yards youre in proper wild countryside fell. It must be pretty much unique for any major city.
I wandered round all weekend wondering quite what the fuck the Scots were thinking maintaining their ties to Doncaster, Hull, Rochdale, Birmingham, Manchester London and the likes. A staggering decision.
The entire country should be sent for a walk round Stalybridge before they vote on independence again.

3 Likes

I second those emotions…

1 Like

Adding a 3rd

1 Like

Balvenie is a noble drink.

1 Like

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/irish/teeling-whiskeys-24yearold-single-malt-named-the-worlds-best-37963088.html

325 notes a bottle.

Probably a stupid question, but how is it 24 years old if they were founded in 2012?

2 Likes

is established in 2012 the same as founded in 2012?

They owned the Cooley Distillery previously

Their fathers back story is an inspirational one. His Dad died when he was 12 or so and his mother had little option but to take him out of school and put him to work. However the Christian Brothers in Joeys in Fairview knew he had a bit about him and reasoned with her to leave him in school. They sorted her out financially and kept him in school where he won multiple scholarships and did a degree in economics and business in UCD and then became one of Ireland’s leading entrepreneurs.

7 Likes

Bought a bottle of Balvenie 16 yr old in Luton airport just now. Fancy tack so I must remember to hide that so drunken me doesn’t come home after a feed of pints and polish it off using blue WKD as a mixer.

1 Like