Dublin City Marathon

The crowds of fully vaccinated people outside in the fresh air in 4 months time?

You got it in one - theyā€™ll all be vaccinated so they will?

By the October bank holiday? Anyone who will take one will be vaccinated by then yeah. You donā€™t think the vaccines work?

Where do you stand on gambling on marathons?

Iā€™m just buzzing with you bud. Its a nonsense decision but sure weā€™ll be in the middle of the 5th wave at that time anyway apparently :wave:

1 Like

Anyone running a marathon is already gambling more than they have.

PB is 2ā€™57 so would like to get under that but might have left it a little late. Iā€™ll see how training goes. How about yourself?

5 Likes

Fucking hell. That is so fast. I couldnā€™t manage 5km at that pace.

Iā€™ve signed up for a 45km trail race in September. The average finishing time in 2019 was 6 hours 15. Iā€™ll need every minute of it :grimacing:

6 Likes

Arra youā€™ll be grand. Sure the hills in Wicklow are only little dimples compared to what youā€™ve been running in the Cooleys

The Cooleys are small in height mate :grimacing:

1 Like

Wonā€™t be keeping that kind of company anyway horse, 1st attempt so it could go anyway but Iā€™m going to go with a 3.30 pacer and see how I get on.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s quick.

1 Like

How did the 20 miler go?

Went out Sunday afternoon in a bit of mist which got progressively worse and I called it a day after 18.77m (30.20k) as it was mildering rain by that stage and I was soaked to the skin.

Did it in 2.18.18 which is 7min 22secs per mile and within my target time.

I have my own formula for minutes per mile, I can do a 5 mile run at 6min 30secs per mile on average, and Iā€™m aiming to do the marathon in 3.5 hrs which is basically 8 minutes per mile.

Thatā€™s 90 seconds per mile in the difference, divided by 21.2 miles to give an extra 4.25 seconds per mile over 5 miles. So on a 15 mile run for example I would be aiming for 7min 12.5 secs per mile.

All sounds very complicated when I write it down, but thatā€™s what Iā€™m working to for now anyway.

How about you, did you manage to get out the weekend?

4 Likes

Honestly, 3hrs 30 mins is a joke off your current fitness. You could go sub 3 imho.

4 Likes

Getting your time down over long distances must be the hardest thing to do ? Iā€™d imagine the body finds a rhythm which is hard to adjust ?

I did 16 miles at 7ā€™ 30 per mile which is about 30 second per mile faster than Iā€™d generally do my long runs. Was with 2 other guys and they donā€™t know how to run slow. As @fenwaypark suggested youā€™re seriously underselling yourself by aiming for 3ā€™30. If youā€™re able to do that 12 weeks out no reason why you shouldnā€™t be at least able to hold that pace for the marathon yourself. Most plans would suggest doing your long runs a good bit slower than marathn pace. What mileage are you doing per week and what sort of speed sessions are you doing?
I did just over 40 miles last week which included a 5k track race and 40 min tempo at about 6ā€™30 per mile Saturday. My legs are fairly tired still. Planning another tempo later but will see how the legs are feeling.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about sub 3hrs horse, maybe I am being a bit conservative with 3.30 though.

Its my 1st marathon so Iā€™m not really sure what to expect, the tank was fairly empty by the end of Sundayā€™s run. I have another 10 weeks or so of training so Iā€™ll re-assess closer to the time and see about going for a quicker target.

Are you doing much at the minute?

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever ran a long run in training at the pace you did yours at and Iā€™ve been under 3 hours 3 times so youā€™re not far off. Consistent training and staying injury free is the main thing.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say you are 3:10 shape at the moment at the very least

4 Likes