Eamon Ryan to save Limerick

They are negatively impacted by paying more for fuel i.e. more taxes and excise on that, VAT on labour for their cars due to more use and VAT on parts for their car due to wear and tear compared to those who carpool. How else would you penalise them?

I’d be hoping @glasagusban is wumming here and not in fact thick as dried out horse shit?

1 Like

He is from coonagh too so is actually a culchie to make it even worse

Not all people from the country hate the planet

Its fascinating how rural life triggers you so much.

4 Likes

How many trips to Australia have you taken?

2 Likes

Never been

1 Like

That all seems fair doesn’t it? @farmerinthecity was saying they shouldn’t be negatively impacted at all.

I haven’t advocated penalizing anyone.

I’m from the country. I always presumed I’d end up back in the country but as I got older, I realised that wasn’t for me. I’ve nothing against people staying in the country. It can be a really lovely way of life. I’ve family and neighbours still farming. I like to eat meat.

I’d reckon most people in the country are becoming more aware that some of their practices are environmentally damaging (as are many in the urban environs too). I would say public transport back home has improved, but there’s still a fair bit to be done.

As I’ve documented, my auld pair moved last year after a protracted process that nearly caused the auld fella a meltdown or two. It’s amazing how little they’re using the car now. They still have two, but are talking of trading the two in for one hybrid. They walk and bus so many places now that they couldn’t do before. I’m shocked how well they’ve taken it to it. They get a bus to the airport ten minutes walk from their house and a connecting one up to me. I never saw them as urban dwellers but it can be done, especially in the retirement years.

8 Likes

I grew up around farms.

I don’t think I’ve said anything anti-farmer. Ok I said that I think the nitrates issue is mad.

Otherwise all I said was I thought it would be better for the industry to work with the green transition rather than against it.

That seems a mild enough observation but you and others have gone bananas. It’s clear who’s triggered and it’s not me. I’m a bit bemused by all the emotional outbursts.

2 Likes

If anything then this has been a great advertisement for a smaller civil service.

Won’t need so many photocopier drivers with increased automation

7 Likes

Civil service should be outsourced

Ryan was effective in some areas. He surrounded himself with some decent advisors, particularly in the Building Energy sector and change has happened albeit at a slow pace. He should have tried to effect change in structure of SEAI as part of this as they are just an impediment to change and can’t organise themselves.

As with other green reps across Europe he talks out of two sides of his mouth when it comes to nuclear energy. Happy enough to consume French generated nuclear energy across the interconnector but never allowing a proper discussion on an Irish nuclear option for example… we’re an island, you could argue interconnectors have never been as vulnerable.

4 Likes

What he said was that its nearly impossible to get a bike lane built in ireland with objectors, what chance a power plant

I havent heard him speak much about nuclear apart from highlighting how long it takes to build them

Ah lookit, my inital post was a theoretical scenario.
I know farming isn’t going to cease overnight and to imply I did so is a simplistic and stupid basis for an argument.
The basic question remains the same, with perhaps a few caveats.
As per the policy quoted in my last post, your party are looking to have a majority plant based farming industry. What’s the ratio we’re talking about here?
The National herd currently stands at circa 6 million. What’s an acceptable figure?

The answer to both those questions have a massive and irrevocable impact on the livelihoods of thousands of people in this country.
At the end of the day, the people you need to be connecting with, you’re actually alienating.

The Greens should be thriving in rural communities, but the reality is they’re despised. You’re now seen as a smug urban elitist party who looks down on those who don’t share the same values.
To be fair I only realised this myself when I moved back home after 25 years in Dublin, the majority of which was spent living Eammons constituency, a man I have a lot of time for having met and chatted to him on numerous occasions around Milltown.

If the Greens are going to have any discernable impact, and implement the policies they believe in, they need to bring the majority of the country with them. At the moment it’s looking like a wipeout in the country, next GE, and maybe hold one or two in Dublin.

If you’re not in power you can’t govern.

2 Likes

I can’t believe what I’m reading.

1 Like

Sadly id say you’re mistaken.

He can’t be that fucking thick?

Judging by his posts for a good number of years he definitely is. It would make you wonder!

1 Like

Wtf?