Election Betting

Murphy is 1/4ish. How did referendum change views on him? Never really had much time for him. Between himself John Reid and Blunkett they’re last of Blairites still trying to out Tory the Tories.
You could well be correct on disillusionment affecting membership.
Opinion polls in last week have SNP cleaning up and majority favouring independence. Best result for SNP is certainly a Murphy win.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1039217, member: 25”]Murphy is 1/4ish. How did referendum change views on him? Never really had much time for him. Between himself John Reid and Blunkett they’re last of Blairites still trying to out Tory the Tories.
You could well be correct on disillusionment affecting membership.
Opinion polls in last week have SNP cleaning up and majority favouring independence. Best result for SNP is certainly a Murphy win.[/QUOTE]
Read somewhere that SNP membership has increased from 16.000 t0 83,000 since the referendum. The SNP will dominate Scottish politics from now on. Labour has been hugely damaged as a brand (not just in Britain but in Ireland) as it is no longer seen to represent anything except being Tory-lite.

Murphy wins. He predicts Labour won’t lose a single seat to SNP. He is very wrong.

As wrong as betting on findlay to be next leader?

I think if you look through this thread you’ll see it has been very successful juh and extremely profitable. Unlike you to have a pop at one of my posts though

Greens are polling very well of late. They will be squeezed nearer to May one would think but if they can focus their efforts the bet should win.

SNP over 24.5 seats is 5/6 with paddypower. 10 points.
Guardian/ICM poll had yet more very encouraging news for SNP yesterday. Policy wise Murphy was bad choice for Labour. He is strong campaigner and style could be effective in debates but all he can hope for is to halt the slide. With Sturgeon as SNP leader they have moved further to the left of Labour. Labour now look Tory light in Scotland which isn’t going to work there. SNP membership approaching 100,000. I don’t expect SNP to get the 45 seats that polls are predicting but they should get well in excess of 25. Considering SNP currently have 20 seats in Westminster paddpower have this market way off. They consistently misread election betting as is plain to see from this thread.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/26/labour-bloodbath-scotland-general-election-2015-snp-westminster

Greens 2 seats or more in May election.
10/1 with William Hill
5 points. Ridiculous odds. Greens have never polled higher. They are strong in half dozen England constituencies and in with excellent chance in Norwich in particular. Lucas will hold Brighton. Never been a higher disillusionment with Labour and Tories. Lib Dems are in coalition and will be punished for their role in government.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1064613, member: 25”]Greens 2 seats or more in May election.
10/1 with William Hill
5 points. Ridiculous odds. Greens have never polled higher. They are strong in half dozen England constituencies and in with excellent chance in Norwich in particular. Lucas will hold Brighton. Never been a higher disillusionment with Labour and Tories. Lib Dems are in coalition and will be punished for their role in government.[/QUOTE]

Worth a punt.

I have snp over 24.5 at 5/6 from bet couple of months back. Ashcroft polling has huge swing for them with Douglas Alexander in danger and Danny Alexander struggling too. I don’t think swing will be as big as poll suggests with scare tactics of vote SNP get Tory working to limited extent. Now going to back under 34.5 and hope it ends up between the two.

Lib Dems under 27.5 is fantastic bet at 5/6. I’ve stuck the savings on it

Raymond, do you sift through all the shit that is british politics just to get snippets to form betting plays or have you a genuine interest in this stuff? When is the next election coming by the way?

May

Very interested in it. Spend two/three hours each day reading/watching it.

Just the british scene or Irish/US/brits?

British only really.

Raymond, do you not think party politics, or the professional politican, have had its day? Do you not think time and energy should be put into constructing engineering projects that will prosper humanity instead of mud slinging and one upmanship?

I enjoy it as a sport and there are some very good debates in UK politics with far more independent minded MPs than you get in Ireland for instance. Mo Mowlam, Ken Clarke, Charles Kennedy, Robin Cook, Glenda Jackson, Peter Hain, Caroline Lucas all examples of politicians in the UK who offer/offered very interesting opinions (though I might not agree with some of those opinions).
I don’t think it’s a choice between politics versus engineering or whatever. Not enough difference between Labour and Tories at present.
I’d put more of an emphasis on rounded education rather than engineering projects in my utopia mind.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1086228, member: 25”]I enjoy it as a sport and there are some very good debates in UK politics with far more independent minded MPs than you get in Ireland for instance. Mo Mowlam, Ken Clarke, Charles Kennedy, Robin Cook, Glenda Jackson, Peter Hain, Caroline Lucas all examples of politicians in the UK who offer/offered very interesting opinions (though I might not agree with some of those opinions).
I don’t think it’s a choice between politics versus engineering or whatever. Not enough difference between Labour and Tories at present.
I’d put more of an emphasis on rounded education rather than engineering projects in my utopia mind.[/QUOTE]

It begins with education, I certainly agree on that… But the next phase is surely making the world a better place for the citizens of your country.

It’s the same phase and education doesn’t just stop. Education should be all about making the world a better place for citizens of all countries…Diatribe over

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1086158, member: 25”]I have snp over 24.5 at 5/6 from bet couple of months back. Ashcroft polling has huge swing for them with Douglas Alexander in danger and Danny Alexander struggling too. I don’t think swing will be as big as poll suggests with scare tactics of vote SNP get Tory working to limited extent. Now going to back under 34.5 and hope it ends up between the two.

Lib Dems under 27.5 is fantastic bet at 5/6. I’ve stuck the savings on it[/QUOTE]
The Lib Dems are good at the local constituency stuff. They may not lose as many seats as their poll numbers would suggest.

7th may