Election Betting

Oā€™Brien has put a serious wedge into this campaign. The word on the ground is that he has pumped a six figure sum into this campaign. Posters and banners everywhere, endorsements from current and former intercounty hurlers etcā€¦

I think Oā€™Donovan will get in. Neville to lose out, although heā€™ll still get a get lot of Danā€™s vote for the name alone. Could be tight for a finish.

Probably the most conservative constituency in the country - weā€™re like the red neck Republicans in Alabama. No female candidate (the only constituency in the country this time around I believe) and there has only ever been a non FG or non FF candidate elected on just a single occasion.

If Heffernan was with FG or FF heā€™d have been elected a couple of times by now. There is just simply not a big enough Labour/anyone else vote in the area.

Heffernan has a natural base all to himself in the South East and East of the county along with GAA recognition. He should be making more of it.

3 Likes

Iā€™d well believe it, he must have 2/3 vans on the go covered with the full works. Whereā€™s he getting the wedge from? The gravy train has been kind obviously.

Vans and the like are provided for candidates by supporters who have access such as garages and transport operators.

From what Iā€™ve heard heā€™s a bit of a marmite figure even in his own parish.

He wouldnā€™t be short of a bob or two. Heā€™ll get a big GAA vote, in fairness heā€™d be a genuine supporter who would be at a fair amount of matches and not just the more glamorous ones.

https://twitter.com/JeromeSport/status/702582796431323136

1 Like

Agreed. He is making no use of himself and if he had anything about himself he should be bang there with a chance. But he isnā€™t and it would be surprising if he got in. I thought he would get himself more exposure tbh. But heā€™s a poor candidate, i have never been impressed with him at public speaking, he has never convinced me he is sharp enough for it and then he had that big ugly argument while with Labour with another Labour fella where they couldnā€™t share an office with each other and your man ended up catching Beefyā€™s stuff and fucking it all out into the hallway. It doesnā€™t say much for his people skills that episode.

@TreatyStones regarding Oā€™Brien i understand his van has been doing the rounds the last week or so in East Limerick and he is more visible about the place than the other candidates. I know of one lapsed forumite who along with his family are giving Oā€™Brien first preference because ā€œhe was a barristerā€. :rollseyes:

Everyone in the Smark family will be giving Oā€™Donovan first preference, although my auld fella is playing hard ball at the moment he should come round by tomorrow. My biggest challenge now is getting to a Boylesports shop by tomorrow morning as really think 1/3 is worth a bet on Oā€™Donovan but i am going to struggle woefully to make it to one as a bit busy all day and evening.

Youā€™d swear Charles Byrnes was running this one for Donovan.

1 Like

What are odds on

Ff/sf/labour/SD government

Theyā€™re not really related events though with different constituencies and all that.

Is this just a fob off from bookmakers due to their lack of confidence in pricing these markets?

Kathryn Reilly is great odds at evens, I reckon she will definitely get in. I canā€™t see FG getting two in Cavan/Monaghan.

Conlan will probably take Humphreys across the line ahead of James Oā€™Reilly.

I also reckon Christy Burke will get in at 5/4. I saw Tony Gregoryā€™s brother is on Burkeā€™s election team and has had a few pops at Oā€™Sullivan who is running as ā€œThe Gregory Candidateā€, not a great endorsement for her

I think FG will fail to get a seat in Donegal, the landscape wonā€™t really have changed an awful lot up there since the last election, SF and FF will make small gains from the last election in their 1st pref % with Lab and FG taking small losses. Pringle should take the last seat.

They donā€™t need to be related in a causation way. Just in a correlation way.

If you think SF will get 20% for example then that means SF candidates have an improved chance and therefore you shouldnā€™t be able to benefit from multiplying odds.

Word on the ground here in Tipperary is that Tom Hayes is possibly in trouble tomorrow. I donā€™t have the interest in current affairs so Iā€™m only going on what Iā€™m told, by a fairly reliable source. Maybe if heā€™s out of the equation thereā€™s a decent bet to be made ?

put a euro on Ann Norton (Ind) 14/1 in clare

Burke and Reilly are very good value alright. Iā€™d be very surprised if McHugh wasnā€™t returned though.

A source tells me that he was the bookies today when a guy came in looking to put a large sum of money on Emmet Oā€™Brien to top the poll in Limerick County, but they wouldnā€™t give him any odds.

Itā€™ll be o Brien, Neville and Collins. O Brien will go close to topping the poll and most of his votes will transfer to Neville.

Heā€™ll top it Iā€™ve been into paddy power ten times and they wouldnā€™t give me odds.

I heard they reckon he could take up to half of Collins old votes.
Do you think Oā€™Donovan will be beaten? That would be a major upset. He seems to have run a fairly low key campaign.

Neville will get in. Thereā€™s a Fine Gael seat there but o Donovan has done next to nothing for the area. If I put my kneck on the line is go o Brien 1, Collins 2 and Neville a distant third. O Brien is good friends with Neville and theyā€™ve been good on the local council by all accounts. O Brien is gunning for Collins as he screwed him a few years ago. Iā€™m told o Brien spent up to 100k on his campaign.