Energy Crisis

That’s only looking at it from a stock market angle. I never had you down as a Wall Street type

It will take 50 years to pay back. The largest cost will be to service the loans over that period of time. I think the new one in Bristol is estimated to cost between ÂŁ16-20 billion

Some level of aspirations, good luck to them. Be very admirable if they could pull.it off:

The phased project at SA1 aims to deliver an electric battery manufacturing plant and battery storage facility, a tidal lagoon in Swansea Bay and floating solar farm within it, a data storage centre, a green hydrogen production facility, an oceanic and climate change research centre, and hundreds of waterfront homes. It would take more than a decade to complete

Did we sell that 2.4% excess to the French mate? Were they ready for it?

the brits are doing great at renewables in fairness to them

as more and more wind generation comes on line over the next few years we will be a net exporter of energy

I visited a number of solar farms in the UK recently. Impressive facilities but very much unwanted by local residents or anyone overlooking them.

The efficiency is low enough, the cost is high, but the sell-in tariff makes it viable, at scale.

They’ll be popping up here soon enough.

2 Likes

Theres one going up near me. Looking forward to seeing it. Its unused farmland at the moment, not even cattle or silage a waste for years

Didn’t they want to do a tidal thingingmebobob yoke in the Shannon estuary?

No idea tbh but that’s some scale of a project the Welsh lads are gearing for.

This is a mad yoke altogether, it’s like damning the tide. Building a big massive man made reservoir in the middle of the bay. The environmentalists would be up in arms about the snails or something

1 Like

RTÉ News on Twitter: “In total 34% of power came from wind farms around the country, up four points on a year earlier, according to analysis from energy consultants Baringa https://t.co/8GLMiL2gO2” / Twitter

Portugal seem to be doing very well in renewables. 94 per cent of their power.

Could we not use in-pipe hydropower or done class of controlled hydro to tide (:+1::grinning:) us over when wind ain’t shaking the barley.

The Greens in Ireland seem woefully short on innovation and blue sky thinking.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-wpi/wholesalepriceindexnovember2022/

Wholesale electricity prices decreased by 30.1% in the 12 months to November 2022

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0117/1349145-cso-inflation-figures/

The CSO said that electricity prices were up 62.7% on an annual basis

Logic.

The purchase price of electricity is down 30% on the year. The retail price of electricity sold is up 62% on the year. Cunts.

Granted, its not as simple as that, as the companies bought at higher prices and have “stock” but even so, those figures are a fairly stark contrast.

2 Likes

we are increasing SUN & Wind renewables hugely over the next few years - it takes time to scale up & until the Greens got into Government there was little movement

we will be getting power from France when renewables dont provide enough

Ireland targets 80% renewables | GridBeyond

the one target we will meet is energy & with retrofits, people will need less energy,

retrofits will never happen because we dont have the workers? oh really @TheUlteriorMotive

1 Like

Our immersion broke just after our last bill came in. I thought I would have to sell a kidney when I saw the last bill amount. A record high. It was an estimated read so when I did the calculations it was estimated to the tune of 77 euro in their favour. Anyways, I didn’t fix the immersion and with latest bill just in and factoring in the 77 paid, the bill is halved. By comparison to Christmas '21 today’s bill is 100 euros less even.
I won’t be fixing the immersion yet.

I’m the forums leading exponent of this Ffs sake

yes, im glad i delegated to you

1 Like