Energy Crisis

The bought at cheaper prices too, but we never got the benefit of that either. Windfall tax the cunts and force the ESB to lower their prices and others will have to follow

1 Like

Using the immersion to heat water is very inefficient.

Except on my free electricity Saturdays!

Electric Ireland applied a discount to accounts. They are the best of the lot in my opinion. Airtricity the worst imo.

2 Likes

The wind got awful expensive this year cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

1 Like

It was handy. With 3 women in the house.

How much are you talking for Solar panel installation with batteries? I wouldnā€™t be entitled to any grants as the house is only 5 years old.

12.5k for a 16 panel 6kWp system, rising slowly.

1 Like

These things are still woeful dear,plus itā€™s a joke that the max grant is 2400 no matter how many you put up.The batteries are extortionate as well.Plus the fact the panels could be obsolete in a few years with new technology.I got a couple of prices last year but it didnā€™t make financial sense for what I was laying out.

5 Likes

ESB should install and maintain them on every house suitable in the country like they do street lights. Homeowner reduced energy Costs, community at large reduced costs and provide employment and increasing expertise in the sector. Equally takes some pressure off a creaking energy provision

Progressive upgrades as tech allows for, reducing/removing impact of obsolescence.

Same way people talk about the will being there to build corporation housing in previous generations, same principles of greater good to be applied here.

Pie in the sky stuff but shur.

3 Likes

Every public owned building, school, hospital, community centre, sports club, hotel etc. in the country should be plastered with them

1 Like

Agreed. The ā€˜paybackā€™ jargon surrounding the technology is misleading. The expected advancements in panel design will likely land with a premium that will probably offset the higher efficiency.

Cunts.

This is what I am trying to figure out; the Heat Pump during the cold spell was using between 30 and 40kw of power per day. If there was a way to reduce that using solar panels it would be a big help in reducing bills.

My brother was telling me that a friend of his installed solar panels and during the summer time was essentially only paying the standing charge to the ESB, or for a couple of kilowatts at most.

1 Like

Yes but heā€™s paid a fortune for the panels no doubt

Iā€™ve a smart meter installed here they just rang one day and said theyā€™d be on tomorrow to put it in that it was required to replace my old one. Electric Ireland then rang and said they were aware Iā€™d the new smart meter and would I like to activate it for all the benefits (or maybe put me on one of the plans), I declined as I didnā€™t know enough about it at the time and on reading what lads are saying here youā€™d be better off without it. I must do a switch though Iā€™m with electric ireland for a few years as thereā€™s supposed to be good savings in the first year you switch. I suppose I will use bonkers or one of those to tell me the cheapest plan at the moment.

Thereā€™s possibly a difference between the activation and being put on a specific smart meter plan.

My smart meter is activated, i can see all the statistics etc but I havenā€™t switched to a smart meter plan.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had a few updates from Esb networks to say theyā€™re putting in a new smart meter - with no option/selection to opt out. Do they put the smart meter and then up to you whether you want it switched on for billing? Iā€™m with Energia for gas/electricity.

this was a huge breakthrough despite huge opposition from the Oirish aviation authority

gov.ie - Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communications welcomes changes to planning rules to allow unlimited solar panels on homes and other buildings (www.gov.ie)

2 Likes

Yes that seems exactly the case for @TreatyStones snd myself. They put it in, didnā€™t really give me a choice, but then we were both given choice afterwards to activate it or not.

Yeah they put it in and you can change plan later if you want

Tell them fuck off out of it.

1 Like