EPL Player's Player of the year Award

He has in his ring, he has a field day against a wide open Aston Villa and suddenly he is the next Zidane :rolleyes:

My half term report in the archives somewhere after around 19 games didnt have Gerrard in it and I dont think anyone on here batted an eyelid. He didnt play in the Bernabeu or hardly got a kick v Chelsea. He has improved since he was paired up with a fit Torres I dont disagree but Alonso and Reina have been consistently excellent all season.

Im saddened to hear that Denzel has fallen out with Del Boy and Rodders,and Denzel always seemed to be a nice oul lad…

[quote=“KIB man”]He has in his ring, he has a field day against a wide open Aston Villa and suddenly he is the next Zidane :rolleyes:

My half term report in the archives somewhere after around 19 games didnt have Gerrard in it and I dont think anyone on here batted an eyelid. He didnt play in the Bernabeu or hardly got a kick v Chelsea. He has improved since he was paired up with a fit Torres I dont disagree but Alonso and Reina have been consistently excellent all season.[/quote]

Firstly, who do you think you are? You picked Doyle ahead of Aldridge. That ends your cred at picking fantasy teams.
Secondly, i didn’t see it and i wouldn’t have agreed. But i will say this, Steven Gerrard is NOT Zindane. We can agree on that. He is better than any Villa player though, by a good stretch, because if they were better than him Villa would be near the top, as Gerrard has with some serious help from Torres and Alonso, kept Liverpool in the title race. Liverpool carry a good few players at this level, so i don’t think you can ever underestimate his value. Scores incredibly important goals as well.
Villa are a tidy team, with good potential, but don’t be getting carried away.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Firstly, who do you think you are? You picked Doyle ahead of Aldridge. That ends your cred at picking fantasy teams.
Secondly, i didn’t see it and i wouldn’t have agreed. But i will say this, Steven Gerrard is NOT Zindane. We can agree on that. He is better than any Villa player though, by a good stretch, because if they were better than him Villa would be near the top, as Gerrard has with some serious help from Torres and Alonso, kept Liverpool in the title race. Liverpool carry a good few players at this level, so i don’t think you can ever underestimate his value. Scores incredibly important goals as well.
Villa are a tidy team, with good potential, but don’t be getting carried away.[/quote]

I can remember Aldridge at the end of his Irish career. I remember him getting a hat trick v Turkey back when they were whipping boys. He scored a cracking goal v Mexico in the WCup in 1994 but still he was only a sub behind the useless Tommy Coyne for that tournament. He also had a very very dry spell when he started off playing for Ireland that I am sure the oldies on here will refer to.

You have a good bit to learn in the wumming category. You also also have a habit of contradicting yourself that takes from your posts e.g. if He is better than any Villa player though, by a good stretch, because if they were better than him Villa would be near the top, as Gerrard has with some serious help from Torres and Alonso, kept Liverpool in the title race.

Villa have no player yet in the same category as these three players. Even if Ashley Young were better than all three he would still need a supporting cast of world class players like Gerrard has - Reina, Alonso and Torres to come close to a title charge. Even if Villa had Messi they would struggle to maintain a title charge considering the likes of Heskey, Knight, Friedel, Luke Young at left back are all front line players.

I’m not getting carried away with Villa, I said at the start of the season I would be happy with an increase in points from last season and fifth place. We look in prime position for that.

An EPL player of the year should be judged over a 38 game season of which Steven Gerrard due to injuries and inconsistent form is def not in the top 5 in the league. Dont get me wrong, when he is given freedom to do so and particularly when a game is open Steven Gerrard can be devastating.

Players Unfortunate not to be Nominated:

1 - Xabi Alonso

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Off your game, he’s bottled it in big games this year.
Not a Pool fan (or any fan for that matter), but for me its Gerrard, he’s been nothing short of awesome. After Messi he’s the best player in the world at the moment.[/quote]

Gerrard isn’t even the best player at LIverpool ffs… :rolleyes:

ya david ngog is way better

Move along.

alright so

racist

Says the Roma fan…

A new low for Kev there… Well spotted NCC…

Leave NCC alone

roma have a strong left wing support who will soon be in charge of the curva sud again

a new low for kev? is that possible?can he slip down in our estimation any further?

doubt ir

Aldridge was a class player. He was nearly 36 in that World Cup and couldn’t start because we were playing one up top due to Quinn’s injury. He was still a far superior player to Coyne as evidenced by the very well taken goal against Mexico.

Poor start to his Irish career alright but much of that was down to the system he played in. Once he got going he was a decent scorer against decent opposition, unfortunate to have a memorable goal against Spain disallowed wrongly for offside in qualifiers for US94.

But he was still probably better for his clubs, though that doesn’t mean he didn’t try internationally. First non-Basque to play for Sociedad and scored fairly freely there as a lone striker. Got heaps of goals with Liverpool and Tranmere.

Absolutely light years ahead of Doyle.

[quote=“therock67”]Aldridge was a class player. He was nearly 36 in that World Cup and couldn’t start because we were playing one up top due to Quinn’s injury. He was still a far superior player to Coyne as evidenced by the very well taken goal against Mexico.

Poor start to his Irish career alright but much of that was down to the system he played in. Once he got going he was a decent scorer against decent opposition, unfortunate to have a memorable goal against Spain disallowed wrongly for offside in qualifiers for US94.

But he was still probably better for his clubs, though that doesn’t mean he didn’t try internationally. First non-Basque to play for Sociedad and scored fairly freely there as a lone striker. Got heaps of goals with Liverpool and Tranmere.

Absolutely light years ahead of Doyle.[/quote]

Phenomenal goal scoring record at club level. How come the Pool got rid of him when Rush came back, the goals had hardly dried up for Aldo?

Pretty surprised no one better than Tranmere came in for him when he left Spain aswell.

His record at international level - 19 goals in 69 caps - he was also penalty taker was he not? aint that hectic. I remember him scoring against Malta and Albania aswell.

Eh, it was Rush…

lazy

Exactly. It’s widely accepted that Aldo got proper shafted there.