European Super League Super Thread

I’d rather this went ahead than UEFA keep capitulating because of the implied threat of it happening.

1 Like

There’s been a European super league for the last 25 odd years since they scrapped the European Cup as a competition solely for domestic champions and the reigning European Cup champions.

Most of the places in the league stages are now reserved for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place from a handful of the richest federations in Western Europe from the 55 odd UEFA membership.

1 Like

Gary Neville was bang on there. Pure passion

Gary will tow the line when Sky are competing for the Super League rights.

Gary is probably just worried about his job.

One thing that is not clear to me from what I’ve read.

Will these clubs leave their domestic leagues to play in this Super League or is it just an additional tournament they get involved in?

The leagues and UEFA statement say they will be thrown out of leagues

Well not perfect but better than this alternative. The game is inequitable at the minute with the days of teams like Forest or Villa winning European Cups shortly after promotion from the 2nd tier seemingly gone. Does the current format have more star quality than the previous guise? I’d imagine the eastern-European teams were far stronger back in the days of the European Cup format.

Imagine the big 6 playing in the conference next year. Be like the FA Cup 3rd round on steroids

It’s the NBA NFL model. We all need to get behind this and move on.

A European super league sounds absolutely shit

10 Likes

Celtic and Rangers could then join the EPL.

1 Like

Dundalk could join the SPL then

10 Likes

Or some nordic league equivalent.

The idea of a closed European Super League with 14 teams is ridiculous. But I would suspect if the clubs have any brains about them they’ll be looking to enlist the support of every decent sized club in Europe, maybe 60 or 70 clubs. If they were smart and had a bit of foresight they would market it as “an end to the dominance of the few” and a chance for Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, Galatasaray etc. to compete on a much more level playing field. They will likely not want to do that though because they fancy a pure cartel. But I doubt many others will fancy a 14 team cartel and I doubt many of the supporters of those team would fancy it.

1 Like

They’ll be seething when they find out you need coaching badges in Scotland too.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound interesting at all. A mid-table clash between Spurs and Atletico with no European places or local pride to fight for isn’t of any significance to anyone.

I can’t see this going ahead. It is a gambit from the elite clubs to get an expanded CL through. A 16 team EPL etc.
I can’t think of anything worse than a longer champions league tbh. I’ve no interest in it until the groups are over as it is

Will Amazon Prime have the rights to the European Super League

England aren’t in Europe any more.