Even more mayhem regarding Limerick

When the harmless auld roaster chap mentioned the ā€œtae potā€. Proper west Limerick. Superb.

The fella with the bag over heā€™s head. What is he getting done?

Highlights , I hope we get to see the finished product.

Whatā€™s the Palatine thing about? Were all planters in Limerick called Palatines or were they a particular group of them?

When they were talking about tickets for the match I supposed it was the Kerry Dublin final last September rather than a limerick game

1 Like

Roaster lady talking about going on the lash for a few nights in Dublin is on about sleep paralysis?
Coppers , Jaysus ā€¦

They are Germans, 18th century I think. Why they picked Limerick is another question.

2 Likes

Yeah and Iā€™m guessing they werenā€™t Orangemen though ? Just unionists?

He is not unlike John Kiely

They were given the land ? Wonder would present day descendants still be edgy around the locals ā€¦

This is a lovely show about Abbeyfeale. More of this type of broadcasting please RTE.

2 Likes

RIP Canon Neville.

We won the All-Ireland for him.

1 Like

They were a particular group of German protestant settlers. There was a big exodus of them from Germany and a English landlords offered them land in Ireland. A lot of them continued onward from Ireland to America, but the lad who gave them the land in Rathkeale treated them well so they stayed around.

4 Likes

Was grand until they went down the death road ā€¦

Interesting. i know a girl with surname Switzer never knew it was a palantine name. Is there historically bad blood towards them?

Sparling is another palantine name per wiki. The lad who owns the rustic diner in Boadford is a Sparlingā€¦

1 Like

Good show if bit sad.

1 Like

The palatines were the Syrians of their day. Refugees in London after a war. The Brits didnā€™t know what to do with them, the opposition were angrying up the locals against them. Ended up being sent all over the isles. A shot of them ended up in Ireland to boost the local Protestant numbers, but the only place they stuck was Rathkeale and Wexford. Theyā€™d a rough time of it.

2 Likes

Would they be well integrated now or is there still a bit of ā€œus and themā€? Must visit the museum once things open up again.

That was a superb show about Abbeyfeale

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to make it my business to watch it tomorrow :nerd_face: