Even more mayhem regarding Limerick

Lookā€¦ How much of your lineage can be traced back to Drom?

You are either drom or not

I scored a goal and three points in Drom one night. Then drank about seven pints in the local pub.

Junior or Junior B hurling. I canā€™t remember.

2 Likes

Lads saying never felt anything menacing about town. Shannon St cab rank, Supermacs and the Lobster Pot were regularly war zones.

Limerick was never as bad as made out in national news but never as meek as some are making it here

1 Like

No different to any town or big rural nightclub at the time. I definitely saw more fights in Tarbert and Newcastle West than I ever saw out in Limerick.

1 Like

I never once had hassle in Limerick and only saw minor issues.

I went out in Tipp Town a bit. Much worse.

The Lanterns back in the day used to have pitch battles between busloads of lads from different towns.

https://magill.ie/archive/limericks-fearsome-ferocity
Just came across this . The good old days , ha

Nights out in Tipp town were lethal during the summer. Lads playing club games, few pints in the local and then into town for moreā€™detailed analysisā€™ with the lads they had been beating the head off a few hours earlierā€¦the chippers were like something from MMA

Iā€™m not reading all that.

Theres nothing menacing about a few digs

The amount of junkies around Oā€™Connell street in Dublin is frightening. Genuine sense of danger

Iā€™d say in all the years I was going out I saw one scrap outside suoermacs, a complete urban myth

The junkies have a vague air of menace but donā€™t present much danger. I got a random dig off one in Dame St and generally speaking they are too weak and zombified to give you the type of random assault you might get in a chipper

TLDR - it was the church and the shoddy housing estates with no facilities what done it.

Creagh, led a pogrom against the Jews in the city - about 150 of them, most of whom lived around what is now Wolfe Tone Street, once referred to as ā€œLittle Jerusalemā€. Fr Creagh said,. Read about that years ago but didnā€™t know twas that sectarian ,fuck me lads some on here have grandparents involved in that,mad world then

Limerick in the 80s and early 90s was like any other parochial town, lots of dust ups outside Friar Tucks in the 80s/ early 90s and moved up to Super Macs mid to late 90s. One thing that changed it was Es. All the lads whoā€™d be digging the head off each other were now above in the Tay-ter Royal off their head together. More significantly, the cost of living rose sharply in the 00sā€¦ Where a few scrotes could previously afford to go to town they were now totally priced out of itā€¦ And it was cheaper to get bombed at home. From the 00s to today, youā€™d very rarely see trouble about. The odd bit if handbagsā€¦ Anytime I saw trouble I was usually in the middle of it. But Limerickā€™s issue were and are not on nights out in the city, theyā€™re deeper than that. They start and end in City hallā€¦

4 Likes

Who are you,Bruce Wayne?

10 Likes

No comment.

Celtic Tiger price inflation and Es saved Limerick. By God.

Weā€™ve the makings of a David Simon HBO series. A McNulty figure pinning some bodies floating in the estuary to the Henry Street unit. Willie Oā€™Dea as Clay Davis.

5 Likes

Youā€™re over egging itā€¦ I simply meant in relation to Saturday night dust ups. I remember going out when underage around 1995 and there were gangs of lads digging the heads off each other regularlyā€¦ Those Castletroy metallarss were always in the mixā€¦ Within a couple of years it had all dried up. The Celtic tiger cleared a lot of riff raff out if town.

I remember seeing a bird who must have been at least 6 months pregnant repeatedly rapping another birds head off a pole on Shannon Street. Sickening

Skippy biting Paddy Hayesā€™s ear off

@Thomas_Brady ask Freddy about the time a much older lad threatened us with a fucking coconut inside in the gallery!

And on the eā€™s front, Jamesy McCarthy and his motley crew used to be selling them outside after on said Bosnia/Shannon street, outside the gallery. Said Jamesy one of the 5 who killed Kieran keane. They were some very dangerous people around town