Even more mayhem regarding Limerick

Driverless electric cars will bring people everywhere. There will be no need for anyone to own a car. Taxis and carparks will be redundant. Rural pubs will be revitalised like never before.

3 Likes

You might make a few club games & learn all the players names then. Win - Win

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Electric cars?? Sure sleepy Éamonn can’t even promise the lights won’t go out

:grin::grin::grin:

eh, ICE cars wont be produced in 10 years mate

What’s the plan for Trucks & Agricultural vehicles?

I’m fully in agreement that Petrol/Diesel vehicles need to go, as for the above that’s trickier.

sure wernt the milk vans e vehicles 50 years ago, trucks will be easy to do

2 Likes

Youve made more effort in that post than the planning that went into this pie in the sky idea I’d say. Is there even 1% chance this will happen

2 Likes

A driverless car is fine until you’re on a road that only one car can fit on and meet someone coming against you

There’s a better chance of Shannon airport being closed than the train line being built.

The Ennis line is already there, as is the Annacotty line. So that would be relatively straight forward.

The Limerick Junction line is already there but the station needs to be built at Ballysimon so you are probably talking 15 years before that’s done. At which stage we’ll probably be gone off in a different direction.

The only hope of anything meaningful happening is the line to Adare, JP needs shit to get done for his Ryder cup in 2026 and Adare get’s what it wants always even before JP. Someone with clout in the council is living in Mungret as well, they’ve pumped some money into the place. So that spur could be a runner.

2 Likes

Was a good post in fairness. It is pie in the sky stuff as @Julio_Geordio alludes to but broadly its a good idea and its something we need to do across Limerick, Galway and Cork.

I don’t think Limerick city and the surrounding suburbs have enough people there though to make it viable really as things currently stand from a footfall viewpoint.

The city needs to be built up a lot more first would be my view. I do kind of like the idea though.

It would make a lot of sense if we create more population density in the city.

1 Like

If you built the line I suggested it would be busy. The traffic is shite over castletroy side so people would use it. If they build the line they’ve proposed there’ll be no one on it

1 Like

I wonder by Ballysimon, do they really mean Killonan, where there is an existing station, albeit a private residence nowadays. There’s ample room to put something in place there, though.

1 Like

Your point was well made. The big population centres from Mungret say across to UL/Annacotty would make it viable certainly during the academic calendar of September to May for a start.

bb233628e444dc1552325326703d7cbb

I collected this baby today. The fly tipping has absolutely taken off since the pandemic. I need to expand.

2 Likes

The place at the road crossing?

Yeah. There’s a big signal box there as well.

Killonan would make little sense from a commuter point of view though as there’s sparse enough population out there. It would really have to be around the Bohercoyle/Garryglass/ O’Shea’s Cross area to pick up on the potential numbers from Monaleen/Castletroy.

Even with all the stars in the world aligned it won’t be done for the Ryder cup

It would make absolutely zero sense to put a station there. Handy for visiting the nursing home up the road maybe.

1 Like

Light rail in cork City from the train station out to CIT via the quays and western road would be a great idea too but sure twil never happen

1 Like