Even more mayhem regarding Limerick

Limerick wouldn’t make the top 200 cities/town in the UK in terms of population and people calling for it have some sort of light rail, integrated public transport network.

1 Like

More roads and more more islands for our kitchens.

I guess that’s what they’re trying to change!

I know very little of the detail on any of this but it makes more sense. We need more public transport and less reliance on roads, and increased density in the city. Building a dual carriageway for people to commute in and out from further away seems the complete opposite of good planning.

How about the council developing a massive prime site in the city centre and not putting any accommodation in there? That seems extremely counter productive too.

1 Like

Limerick is now classed as a metropolitan area taking in Ennis-Nenagh- Charleville as well as the city and county.

What’s that now? Does seem counterproductive also. Hopefully Eamon Ryan will put a stop to their gallop too.

I really liked the train line plan they published earlier this year. Hopefully they can deliver sooner rather fhan talk about it for decades

1 Like

The Opera Centre site bizarrely has no accommodation, only office space so will basically be deserted after 6pm.

And in order to fill it up before 6 will probably empty the rest of the offices in the city

At a time when demand for office space is questionable at best and in plentiful supply, while there is a housing crisis

2 Likes

Maybe an opera centre isn’t a great fit for accommodation, with evening events and what not?

Taking the piss? A tonne of apartments around grand canal dock. Adds to the atmosphere

You do know there isnt an opera going to operate there. Its just a name the original developers pulled put of their arse.

1 Like

Limerick has a dozen quarters
Biut no plan for living quarters

1 Like

At least it’s an attempt in trying to be forward thinking due to the various lines that are already there in some shape or form (Galway, Nenagh/Ballybrophy, Limerick Junction, Patrickswell/Foynes, Mungret) coming from all directions out of the city.

But the city itself is fairly compact and doesn’t suffer from massive traffic problems imo, so the benefit of using these lines would be more for the people living in connected commuter towns and villages. Are there enough fellas who’d make use of a regular train in places like Castleconnell and Oola to make the investment worthwhile? Almost certainly not but I’d if they did it anyways. Monorail, monorail, monorail!

Not in the same building though? I’m not arguing it just saying it could be a possible reason?

You think the fact that an opera that doesnt exist might disturb people nearby is a reason not to build houses?

1 Like

There’s no “opera” its just office space and a bit of retail.

The Hanging Gardens will also most likely be empty soon when Nordic go wallop. Plus the office development at Bishops Quay.

A 19th century opera singer once lived there.

The Phantom of the Opera Centre

6 Likes