Even more mayhem regarding Limerick

Iā€™d add arrogant onto that statement as well.

1 Like

Very bad form. Seething reading this.

Thought that was Sham Flan for a minute

2 Likes

The Battle of Bruff

Reports of 130 dead.The town of Bruff levelled.Cannons roaring and muskets firing.This was July 1793.This was the Battle of Bruff.And most of you have probably never heard about it.

The Battle of Bruff was possibly the deadliest battle in this area in the last 300 years yet it has faded outside our collective memory.The full-scale organised military attack by the people of Bruff on the British shocked the invader to the core and brought terrible repercussions on the townsfolk.So sit back and let me tell you about it.

Riots in Kilfinane and an attack on the Market House there for corn by the populace had terrified the dreaded Oliver who ruled that area with an iron fist.Captain Oliver and his volunteer Yeomanry(largely made from the transplanted Palatines there) suppressed the trouble and sent for help to the military in Limerick city.And this is where Bruff comes in,for here was the chance for the people from the banks of the Morning Star to defeat the British army on our own turf.

At 4am,Capt.Forbes left Musgrave St. Barracks in Limerick with the 34th Foot Regiment and two cannons to collect the prisoners in Kilfinane and further quell any disturbances there.The people of Bruff saw an opportunity to strike for freedom and to register their hatred for their rulers,organising an estimated two hundred men to meet the drum-led redcoats as they passed through the town.The redcoats were secretly watched from all sides as they marched towards the rendezvous they were unaware of.And then,the firing started.

In his own words,Capt.Forbes ā€œwas a good deal surprised to be fired upon from windows and loopholes on each sideā€.The local rebels struck from Pound Lane(beside Glynnā€™s pub now),Crawfordā€™s Lane and Main St when the front of the cavalcade had reached Main St.The rear of the army would probably still have been on the Palatine Road at this stage.A soldierā€™s horse was hit and ran wildly down Pound Lane,succumbing to his injuries there.The British took up military position and defended their stance,all the while being the focus of musket fire.The battle raged for hours with the British heavier weaponry forcing the locals to eventually take cover.

Guns would have been a rare luxury for the poor people of Bruff and one wonders how many fought for their freedom that day with nothing better than farm implements.The Limerick Chronicle,the mouthpiece of the British in this county, were shocked that the rebels fought so hard stating that they did ā€œseem to increase in ferocityā€ the longer the day went on.The sniping continued throughout the night,killing just one soldier and wounding six,if the British figures are to be believed(and to do so would usually be naive in the extreme).Forbes estimated up to 30 rebels died that day on the streets of Bruff with another 60 badly wounded.The locals vanished into the night and one wonders how?Well,let me introduce you to one possible avenue of escape that night.A tunnel.

For a tunnel runs from what is now Jack Clancyā€™s Bar to the vicinity of the old dump in Bruff.You may scoff.It is true.It can still be crawled through in parts.Was this the escape route for the rebels that night?Was it this well-planned?And what happened the following morning at day-break when the British got their opportunity to wreak revenge?For,my God, they made us pay!

More to followā€¦

1 Like

Thought it was Jesus

Iā€™d read on this beforeā€¦ Iā€™m sure itā€™s linked to Defenderism , a movement more associated with the northern half of the country.

Do you have good leads or contacts on the IRB / Clann Na Gael structures in the 1880s? Am following an IRB man who was heavily involved in early Limerick GAA and then emigrated to Chicago

None, sorry. If you want to forward any details you have on him I can send up a few smoke signals and the gods might return some help.

1 Like

Tell him nothing.

1 Like

I guess you are not a member of our other secret society then?

No wonder Seann Finn is so good

1 Like

Anywhere in Limerick doing take away dinners,nobody wants to cook today.

Tasty Bites

Tempting but no.

Lots of places are, Collins, Bobby Byrnes, the Strand are all places Iā€™ve had good reports from,

Iā€™d say if thereā€™s a place you like just google and see,

Yeah I see Off The Bone are doing them too

The Woodlands do takeaways too.

1 Like

Nevilleā€™s , fantastic take away.

2 Likes

Donkey fords

They are still fully closed at the moment AFAIK, not even doing takeaways.