❗ Official TFK Improvements Thread

:thinking::thinking:

Yea, but the zeitgeist has passed, and we’ll never find a fella as simple as @the_dunph again to wind and rile up.

Under no circumstances will a thread starter have the ability to lock people out of topics as long as I’m in charge of TFK. An absolutely ridiculous suggestion.

2 Likes

I do have 2 other suggestions of my own or matters for consideration anyway.

1. I’d like us to give a little back. I know a couple of people have been helped out with personal matters or with fundraising events which is great to see. I think once a year we should nominate a worthy cause, personal to someone on here, and see how many people want to throw in a fiver or tenner or whatever. That’s been done a few times and not everyone wants to do it in public but at the same time there are plenty of lurkers on here who might want to contribute too if we were to setup a fundraising page for some specific causes.

2. I’d like to cover the running costs sometimes with competitions but they don’t always take off. We’ve tried running the odd betting or fantasy football competition but the interest has been lukewarm. Any bright ideas on a killer idea that will unite the forum into something and contribute to a modest rake for the house? (This is not a plea for donations. I’m not comfortable with donations. I’m still burning through the cash @anon98850436 donated the last time I mentioned money on here).

@Rocko, would some kind of community based moderation work? Like if a thread is veering off on some pointless tangent, a function that if more than say 5 people flag it, it will lock the thread until a mod unlocks it. I couldn’t possibly see how this could be abused either :smiley:

Or else just divert all threads that involve Kev/Nembo into a dungeon of some sort where they can argue away in peace.

Also, you’re paying that Today FM employee a massive compliment by referring to him/her as a journalist.

What about cunt of the month. I.e. for posters

A badge of honour surely?

Buff Egan might sponsor the place for a month or two to ease the financial strain.

1 Like

And IOTM wasn’t?

Yeah and you can mask that to make it less accessible but you can always find out, even if it’s through a third party who would be obliged to pass on your details in the event of a legitimate complaint.

Same thing in a different name so.

To be honest rocko I’d rather fork over cash than go to the hassle of a competition. Just have a donate button and people can give what they want and you can siphon off any excess to flattys swim or Mac’s charity nasal hair shave as the case may be

6 Likes

A PayPal donate button would be fairly easy to set up

I’d go with that

First one is a great idea.

Second one. Problem with tipping competitions and fantasy is the need for ongoing involvement, people lose interest. Better off maybe at the start of a tournament to have a competition with reasonably involved rules but a single entry. Tenner or even 20 a man, the house keeps a cut and the rest of the money distributed in prizes. World cup is ideal for this, I usually run something at work, can share the spreadsheet with you. Could do it for Six Nations, NFL playoffs, etc. Complicated rules could even generate a bit of back and forth on entries and strategies, etc.

1 Like

@rocko everything is grand. Leave it alone. Were you making anything out of the adds when you had them turned on?

We haven’t had ads in years and years have we?

Short answer: no. We got banned anyway due to unsavoury content.

4 Likes

A tipping competition for Cheltenham maybe?

1 Like

That’s a badge of honour

I’ll check if our hosting provider accepts badges of honour.