Failing upwards

Denmark came second in their group to Sweden in 1992 and won the Euros. After not having qualified.

Argentina didn’t beat Holland or France and lost to Saudi Arabia.

The team that won the World Cup lost to Saudi fecking Arabia.

1 Like

You’re right mate. Argentina did. They did also win their group. Then beat australia, came through a whopping quarter final against the dutch, hammered croatia and won the best world cup final ever. They were absolute warriors too.
Spain came second in their group and then didnt win the tournament. They didnt even make the final.
It might just be me but your argument that the best team can lose a match but win the tournament falls down if they don’t even make the final.

2 Likes

Spain didn’t lose a match in Euro 2021, mate.

Also there’s a fair oul argument that France were best team at Spain '82. They lost their first game to England but grew into the tournament and were chiselled against the Germans in the semi-final.

and Ireland robbed to qualify

It was the Belgiums wot robbed Ireland. A nation of dubious character, always.

What was it made you think Spain was the best team? Their 5 nil win over slovakia? Or them scraping past croatia in extra time? You seem to put a lot of stock in them drawing with italy …
I could understand if you made the argument about england being the best team and just losing the final. But Spain? It’s laughable.
You can, and probably will dig in all you like but it’s as poor an argument as I’ve heard you make. 2 points after their first 2 group games and in big danger of not qualifying… then scraped through knockouts til they were knocked out…

Very few teams sail through a tournament , they get stronger as they go …Spain were much better than Italy in semi final but couldn’t put ball in the net .

Riiiight. So best team in the tournament based on what? Being shit til the semis then Drawing a semifinal and then being shit at penos? England strolled through the tournament and lost. Italy strolled through their group but then ground everybody down.

Shur what comes out of a crows egg only another crow…

Based on dominating every other team they played and on producing the best display of the tournament in the semi-final.

Here@ Juhniallio

Ah thats wonderful… but Absolute horseshit. They were the toothless end of tippy tappy for most of it. Like the Dubs when they became so risk averse they recycled the ball endlessly. Morata having a mare and the responsibility falling to dani olmo to try and get a craic in from the wing… italy was the only game they looked good in. And they lost it. And they had some of the worst penos if irc…
No loss when they went out.

You think they didn’t look good when they knocked in 11 goals in two successive games?

Right so.

Which games?

You made the statement “they didn’t look good in any game other than the Italy one” so by definition you’re holding that you’re familiar with all their performances at Euro 2021.

Now you apparently don’t even know which two successive games they scored 11 goals in. :grinning:

You’re right mate. I don’t. I know they drew with sweden and poland thus finishing s3cond in their group on 5 and then drew with switzerland and italy.

So you’re admitting your previous statement was horse poo.

No I’m not mate. What games did they score 11 goals in? Are we counting goals to see which team is best now? Or does winning count at all?

Sure Switzerland beat them in 2010. Were they not the best team at that World Cup. Spain were far better than Italy when they played in the Euros

Eh what?. That’s an entirely different tournament and 11 years before the one we are talking about. Spain were the best team in 2010. They had all the Barca lads at their Puerto peak. After the swiss game, barely any other team got a look at the ball. And of course, they won the tournament.
A far cry from scraping through the group stage before going out at the semis, as they did in 2021.