FAO wexford people

The Wexford Strawberry and Potato museum is well worth a visit

http://www.strawberryfest.ie/

UB40 :o :clap:

how about fook off? how abou that?

duncannon is a dump in winter but not a bad spot in summer, far superior to the likes of fethard on seaā€¦one street = village? i think not.

Duncaanon has plenty of heritage with Its fort (where the film the count of monte cristo was filmed).

and also has a martello tower within walking distance

the walk fomr slade to the hook is indeed lovely,

*i am very biased

Most of them will sit out in the sun on benches drinking cans. Other than the supermarkets that sell cans and the local slot machine emporium no businesses really benefit from the influx. If it wasnā€™t full of the scumbags it would inevitably attract a higher class of tourist due to itā€™s close proximity to the coast and a local town. As I said previously, the further you move down the coast, the less chance there is of encountering these neanderthals.

Thereā€™s been a move in recent years for each town (Gorey, New Ross, Enniscorthy and Wexford) to run their own festivals at different parts of the summer. New Ross run the Dunbrody festival every summer which has been surprisingly successful and now the other towns are set to copy it. The imaginatively titled ā€œStrawberryfestā€ (formerly Strawberry Fair) took place in Enniscorthy 2 weeks ago and I was surprised by the professionalism of it all. It was run like a mini-Oxegen / mini-Electric Picnic with one main stage and 3 day camping tickets. Entry was free in on the Friday and Sunday. The Coronas headlined on Friday and the Saw Doctors on Sunday. The Rubber Bandits also made an appearance on Saturday and Jedward played a Sunday afternoon gig. UB40 played on Saturday night as the main act. It was the first year they tried it and it went so well that theyā€™ll likely bring in some higher profile acts next year.

Gorey is running something similar but with a lower profile on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Think the Republic of Loose are headlining. Wexford used to have The Hooves and Grooves festival but I think that was discontinued due to lack of sponsorship. It was a music festival on the same weekend as a 2 or 3 day racing festival. Bandage might know if Wexford town has anything to replace it.

I presume you mean the National 1798 centre? It is well worth a visit. The recently refurbished Castle Museum in Enniscorthy has also just reopened.

The Croppy Boy was laid to rest in Duncannon too I believe

Do not go to Duncannon.

What about the Shedfest in Buffers Alley GAA grounds? Usually held in late August - Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a website for it - and headlined last year by Donna Marie Sludds. :lol:

:smiley:

I saw a sign for this rubbish on a bridge over the Gorey bypass a few weeks ago. Meant to look it up.

I think weā€™ve missed this years though

SHEDFEST 2011

The stage is set for this yearā€™s Shedfest which will be held the Saturday July 2 in the Community Arena. Up to a 1,000 people attended last years Shedfest in what proved to be a fantastic night.

This will be a fundraiser for the continued development of the Arenas facilities, which has been a terrific addition to the local amenities. The Davittā€™s will kick off the live music and they will be followed by Run for Cover who are back by popular demand and DJ Chris Parle will keep the floor rocking in a mega nights entertainment. BBQ, Pig Roast, Promotions, Late Bar and much more are lined up for what promises to be a great nights entertainment.

The BBQ and Pig Roast will be served from 8.30-11.30 so get there early to avoid disappointment. The Bucking bronco will return to exact revenge on the John Deere team of Peter Breen, MJ Stamp and Marty Stamp who are the reigning cowboy riders! Teams of three are needed on the night for a chance to claim the prestigious Shedfest Cup, which can be viewed on our facebook page. A KDK taxi rank will also be in operation on the night. Liam Spratt and his team will be keeping us up to date on Wexfordā€™s vital qualifier in Limerick from 5 p.m.

The hurling qualifier between Clare and Galway will be screened live at 7 p.m. and the Heavyweight World Title fight between Haye and Kioltschko will also be shown. On Sunday both the Munster Football final between Cork and Kerry and the Leinster Hurling Final between Dublin and Kilkenny will feature.

Tickets are ā‚¬20 each and are now available from club members and you can check out the Shedfest facebook page for the latest pools regarding entertainment on the night.

:smiley: :lol:

how twee

No executed in Duncannon and buried in Geneva Barracks cross the water.

The bastards

The mere fact that you suggest Shedfest shows how much credibility can be added to your initial statement.

Clearly Bando has been burned by the fact that St Jamesā€™ are on the way up to senior status as Sarsfields prepare for their inevitable return to the Intermediate ranks and potential grudge matches with Clonard.

I was not advocating Shedfest. Please appreciate the tone and use of the laughing smiley. FFS. Another reason to omit Duncannon if ever there was one.

Re Macā€™s earlier comment on music festivals in Wexford town; I may be mistaken but I donā€™t think thereā€™s one specific festival other than the fringe events that coincide with our world renowned Opera Festival.

Of course the very presence of Wexford Opera House itself ensures a steady flow of top notch talent throughout the year from Kieran Goss through to Mary Black and everything else in between.

I would recommend a viewing of the Opera House website to check on upcoming events.

I see New Ross is finally to be bypassed.

Now for Enniscorthy.

I thought everyone just bypassed Enniscorthy as a matter of course anyway?

Off to Wexford next week - any more suggestions on things to do there (with a baby).

Is there any decent JFK stuff around New Ross? Is New Ross enough of a shithole to count against the JFK stuff or does JFK and the famine ship (near there?) make it a worthwhile visit?

[quote=ā€œRocko, post: 773068, member: 1ā€]Off to Wexford next week - any more suggestions on things to do there (with a baby).

Is there any decent JFK stuff around New Ross? Is New Ross enough of a shithole to count against the JFK stuff or does JFK and the famine ship (near there?) make it a worthwhile visit?[/quote]
You will be pretty close to Rosslare so the Ferry abroad is a serious option.

[quote=ā€œRocko, post: 773068, member: 1ā€]Off to Wexford next week - any more suggestions on things to do there (with a baby).

Is there any decent JFK stuff around New Ross? Is New Ross enough of a shithole to count against the JFK stuff or does JFK and the famine ship (near there?) make it a worthwhile visit?[/quote]

his homestead is about 5 miles outside the town centre, and the famine ship is in the middle of the town. they opened up a new visitor centre there at the famine ship last year, and are planning a big JFK theme celebration in the summer (50 years since he was there). The town looks better siince they did all the pavement and roadworks. the JFK park is a few minutes away from the homestead and is a nice place for a bit of a walk around.

other than the park, I havent been to the homestead, ship or visitor centre, so dont know if any of them are any use JFK related or otherwise. Ross is a shithole, but if you are only there for a day itā€™d be alright. plenty of nice places within driving distance of the town.

Wexford town is a fookin shitholeā€¦absolute kipā€¦

I told Rocko to stay away from New Ross but will he listen?

Must Dos:

• Go to Kilmore Quay;
  • Get your picture taken by the Nickey Rackard statue in Wexford town;
  • Meet Appendage for lunch (I suggest Greenacres);
  • If you must go west then go to Hook Head or somewhere (not New Ross);
  • Have a look in the gates of Wexford Park and think of the heroic deeds your TFK AFC team-mates carried out on the field;
  • Go for a stroll on a beach on the eastern coast like Curracloe, Ballinesker, Blackwater or somewhere.