FIFA 2018 World Cup Thread

Football has been in decline for years.

The Argies aren’t out yet. A win against Nigeria may well get em through. They scraped through the group phase on 4 points in 1990 and then they made it to the final

Football has been in decline since the introduction of the champions league

I thought Caballero should have saved Modric’s shot too.

Sampaoli was stalking the sideline and picking fights in a fairly deranged manner all night.

They need Nigeria to beat Iceland tomorrow. Any other outcome in that game and Croatia and Iceland can play out a mutually beneficial result last game.

Took him about an hour to get up for the third as well

One of the themes of the tournament so far has been that standards outside of Europe have generally fallen and Europe stays ahead through being very organised, professional and basically rich enough to invest in infrastructure. At least the Aussies put it up to the Danes today.

Overall the game is in decline.

Serious question: what teams are better than they were 10 years ago? I can count:-

• Belgium
  • arguably England
  • Egypt
  • Peru
  • Maybe Morocco?

I wouldn’t count Russia because 10 years ago they had Arshavin.

If it’s a draw tomorrow Iceland would need to beat Croatia to be sure. However if that happens, Croatia will have won the group and would likely put out a scrap team and take things easy

If Iceland lose by one goal tomorrow but beat Croatia, Argentina would need to beat Nigeria by a minimum of three goals.

Why are Nigeria being so underrated, they win tomorrow and then beat or draw with the argies and they’re through

Doubt Croatia would lose a game intentionally.

The super 8’s will hopefully see the end of it. Infected with cheating, diving money-hungry mercenaries and administered by a cabal of charlatans.

7 Likes

Let’s hope Argentina are knocked out - they’re fucking cat and awful to watch.

1 Like

A win on Sunday and we’re back in the big time

1 Like

Have been since 1986

And was a foot taller.

Don’t forget Saturdays contest in Pairc Sean…

France have another good generation now after a lull following the 2006 World Cup.

Germany had the 2010 generation but that may be falling away now. But they’re still in reasonable health as a football nation.

Spain’s 2008-2012 generation is almost gone and I don’t think the generation after that is nearly as good.

England will have as good a team as is around in Europe in five or six years’ time.

The point about the infrastructure is most seen in former Communist bloc countries, who have declined steadily over the last 20 years.

1 Like

I’m just disappointed that England won’t get to beat the warmongers this time around - like we did in 1962, 66, 2002 and 1982 in the Falklands.

Louth are fucked, ye’ll do em.

Not with 6 holidaymakers including top NFL marksman currently kicking in the Bronx.

1 Like