FIFA World Cup 2010 - Group Stage

I’m on about Betfair here Shan, not the bookies. We all know the bookies void these bets if the player isn’t on the pitch when the first goal is scored but until now i wasn’t sure of Betfairs stance on it. I backed Henry at 14/1 whereas he was only 7/1 with the bookies. That wasn’t a bad price considering if he was brought on at 0-0 he would be fresh and he would be the most likely player to score first. A low risk bet.

It would be only fair. I wished Rooney would have stayed off the field after my bet tonight. I just realised I typed I should this so instead I should think so. It will what working late on a England match night will do.:lol:

What? Have you been drinking again, Shan??

I actually watched the first 10 minutes and laid England -1.5 @ just shy of evens

Tonight was the worst English performance I can remember, they were absolutely hopeless. They are in real danger of not qualifying.

What does this mean for the EPL?

It means the EPL is strong and treats the world cup as a secondary competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eztSYJTua60

Wheels…wagon…off

He’s right though.

‘Supporters’ giving out about players not doing enough and they can’t even sit and watch the game without acting like spoilt children.

English FA getting their commeuppance. 70 years on from Dunkirk and the brave lone stand against fascism, we find one of the fascists managing England.

Oh it just keeps getting better :smiley:

Hunt for fan after England incident
England supporters made up the majority of the fans but they were left disappointed
South African police are searching for an irate England fan who barged his way into the team’s dressing room but was let free before he could be arrested.

The man vented his anger at England’s poor performance during their 0-0 draw with Algeria at the Green Point Stadium in Cape Town before he was hustled away by a Fifa official.

The incident came within minutes of Princes William and Harry, who attended the match, leaving the scene. A number of players and backroom staff, including David Beckham, were present.

Provincial police spokesman Colonel Billy Jones said the man, who was wearing a red T-shirt, was now wanted for trespassing.

He said police were investigating why he was not handed over to officers, in which case he would have been arrested.

Col Jones said: "Somebody who is believed to be an England supporter managed to get into the changing room of the England team.

"There is no report he engaged with any of the team members.

"He was removed from the dressing room by one of the Fifa officials.

“At this stage we are consulting with all the security agents that were present and will be looking at all the available surveillance footage to establish how this person got in.”

Asked why the Fifa official did not apprehend the man and hand him over to police, Colonel Jones said: "That will form part of our investigation - why police were not informed at the time.

Press Association

[size=“2”]Capello reveals his Cape fear
[/size]

FABIO CAPELLO last night admitted his England stars are cracking under the pressure of playing at the World Cup.
He confessed his players are under-performing so badly because they are frozen by the fear of failure here in South Africa.

And worst affected is Manchester United star Wayne Rooney, who the Three Lions coach admits looks unrecognisable here at the 2010 finals.

It is a stunning confession from the 64-year-old Italian, who says he is as shocked and mystified by England’s woeful form as the rest of us following this dire draw against Algeria here in Cape Town.

Capello complained: "This is not the England that I know. I didn’t see any spirit of the team in this game.

"It reminds me of when I first started as England manager, I saw the same fear when we played at Wembley.

"This is incredible given the level of the England players but I think it is because the pressure of the World Cup is so big that the performance of the players was not so good.

"Yet this is the same team that more or less played most of the games in qualification for the World Cup.

"The problem is that the same players who were really good then are not good as a team at the moment.

"It’s incredible, the mistakes of the players when they can’t control the ball, or they miss easy passes and also when we arrived close to the box, sometimes with a possibility to shoot at goal, we decided to pass instead.

“We missed everything and it is true we are not in a good moment.”

And Capello accepts that Manchester United’s 34-goal star Rooney, the man who was expected to light up the tournament for England, is struggling badly for form.

But he denies that Rooney is carrying an injury, even though he missed training earlier in the week suffering from a knock on the ankle during the draw with the USA.

But he is at a loss to explain the striker’s alarming loss of form.

He said: "I don’t know. I don’t like to speak about one player, the performance of one player. I prefer to speak about the performance of the team.

“But yes Rooney didn’t play like Rooney, but it’s not just his problem.”

He is right that it is a team malaise but Rooney is such a key part of the team that his personal crisis is a massive crisis for England.

The Three Lions have just two points from their first two games and have scored just once.

And this latest stalemate leaves England having to beat Slovenia in their final Group C game in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday to avoid the humiliation of being knocked out of a group they should have dominated.

But on this form, there is no guarantee that Steven Gerrard’s men are up to the task. Yet Capello is clinging stubbornly to the hope that they will suddenly shake off the shackles of fear and come to life before it is too late.

Capello added: "I hope that on Wednesday I see the real England team.

"I just hope we forget this performance and we also forget to play with fear and without confidence.

"For these players train very well, at a fast speed, but in these two games it was not the same team that I know.

"But we are really lucky now because we still have another big chance to go forward and I just told the players this in the dressing room.

Advertisement
Quantcast

"We have to be focused for the next game, not more. This is the past. We still have a big chance after the draw of USA.

"So now I want to see the spirit of the team that I didn’t see this evening.

“I said to the players it wasn’t a good performance, but we are really lucky because we can play another game and I’m always confident in my team.”

Asked if England can still win the World Cup, he resisted the temptation to laugh.

He simply replied: "I think. No, not think - I hope we can.

“Sometimes after one big performance, the minds of the players will be free and then we can play like England. Like the England that I know. This is really important.”

When quizzed over his future if England fail here in the group stages, he responded: “It’s too early to speak about this. You have to wait.”

But surely he would have no option to resign rather than wait to be sacked.

It is not a worry for Algeria boss Rabah Saadane, who was glorying in one of his country’s greatest results.

He was very diplomatic about England but he too was mystified by their dreadful display.

He said: "I don’t know what has happened that means the English team aren’t at their top level.

“You should ask the manager of the England team.”

We did - and he didn’t have any clue either.

Roo-boo-zela

The Three Lions’ faltering start to the tournament went from bad to worse as they failed to score against the North African soccer minnows, having already only drawn with the USA last Saturday.

Our millionaire stars started shakily - then got worse - with Algeria, ranked 22 places below England’s 8th position in the FIFA world rankings, looking the most likely to score in the early stages.

Boss Fabio Capello wore a grim expression as he paced the edge of his pitchside technical area, shouting and pointing as his players sweated and struggled to little effect.

And as the vuvuzela horns droned in the stands, smart-suited princes William and Harry sat glum-faced in the VIP seats with their arms folded.

The tensions on the pitch failed to dampen the fervour of the Three Lions fans, who urged on England with choruses of God Save The Queen and Rule Britannia.

However, the mood gradually changed as our players managed just three shots on target in a lacklustre first half. And as the final whistle sounded with the game still goalless disappointed fans booed the team off the pitch, shouting “We want our money back” as Algerian players ran to salute their jubilant followers.

Last night gutted England fans hit out at Rooney for his outburst - and at the entire team for failing to find the net.

Technician Paul Weston, 28, from Liverpool, said: “Rooney is totally out of order. The bottom line is thousands of Brits paid thousands of pounds to come and see a star like him do our country proud. If all he can do to repay them is criticise, then he’s not worth it.” Mechanic Ian Adam, 52, from Norwich, said: "Rooney simply doesn’t have the right to get angry with the fans after that pitiful result.

“What sort of people does he think we are? The fact is a lot of us weren’t booing, and stood by him despite his dismal game. Now I’m not so sure I’ll be supporting him. What a disgrace.”

Doctor Carla Morgan, 31, from the Wirral, said: “It shows astounding arrogance for a player like Rooney to be ungrateful. Perhaps he’s just venting his frustration, but I’d have expected more self-control from a man paid millions to be a role model.”

Construction boss Richard Stone, 40, from North West London, blasted the team’s performance as he left the Green Point Stadium in Cape Town. He said: “I’m really annoyed after travelling all the way to South Africa. What a joke. England just don’t seem to feel any pride in the Three Lions shirt. They all looked asleep until about seven minutes before the end, when they started to panic.”

Publisher Jeff Halverton, 40, from Barking, East London, said: “It was so flat from start to finish. I don’t know what’s happened to England. Their spark has gone out.”

Mum Wendy Robinson, 47, from Bexley, in Kent, said: “What a waste of money, coming all the way to Cape Town to see that. I was planning to be in South Africa for a while - but now it looks like we might be going home next week.”

Duncan Jenkins, 30, an accountant from Manchester, said: “At this rate Capello will be looking for a new job in the morning. It’s rubbish. Rooney couldn’t trap a bag of cement. And the team looks like it doesn’t care. There’s no energy. Nil-nil is just terrible.” Vet Emma Gardner, 30, said: “What has happened? I don’t even recognise Wayne Rooney, we were awful. If our team were as good as our fans we would have won by ten.”

James Clarke, 25, of Balham, South London, said: “Three Lions? We should be called three kittens. I feel robbed, I’ve spent so much money getting here and we were rubbish.”

Charity worker Stuart Beaney, 36, from Kent, said: “How has this happened? We looked so good six months ago. Now we can hardly string two passes together. It’s a joke.”

Taxi driver Russell Liddiard, 58, from Egham, Surrey, groaned: “I thought the draw against the USA was painful but this was absolute torture. I came here believing we could win the World Cup. Now I’m praying we qualify from the group.”

Planning officer Rob Harrison, 42, from Hull, said: “You can’t draw with Algeria and expect to go far in the World Cup. We’ve a mountain to climb now.”

Council worker Phil McCorry, 25, from Bexhill, East Sussex, said: “The goalie Rob Green got all the blame after his mistake against the USA but he wasn’t on the pitch tonight and we were still awful.”

Boss Capello admitted his disappointment, but claimed he did not hear the England fans’ jeers.

“I did not hear the boos because of the vuvuzelas,” said the Italian. “But I think the fans can decide what to do. I respect them as they follow us everywhere and help us.” Capello slammed his players for making sloppy mistakes. He said: "The problem is the same players that were really good in qualifying are not as good at this moment.

"It’s incredible the mistakes the players are making. Controlling, easy passes, we are messing up everything. Maybe it’s the pressure.

“I hope on Wednesday you will see the real England team. That was not the real England team tonight.”

The odds of England winning the World Cup lengthened to 10/1 after the draw, said bookies Ladbrokes.

That is the biggest price on England lifting the trophy since the qualifying rounds began.

But the Three Lions are 2/1-on to qualify from their group.

Punters could have got 9/1 for the draw before last night’s game.

what would you know about supporting a team you fuckin idiot- you claim to be a liverpool fan but dont go to games & you go to a few “big” championship games a year- a typical inane post from you again where you havent a clue

my fear is that if england beat an average slovenia team they will get their confidence & momentum back- they will then get a handy draw in the next game & then after that who knows

:clap:

Don’t worry about England NCC, even with some luck and getting through they’ll not go far.

They could end up playing Germany, Serbia or Ghana - wouldn’t see any of them as being a handy draw.

http://planetsmilies.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-4644.gif

The shiteness bug has hit Holland. Japan doing well here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

to be a fly on that wall twas hardy, ‘‘ye were always the same and all belonging were the same way too’’

Holland are flat here and lack a bit of pace and spark. They need Robben on to stretch teams out wide as Van der Vaart and Kuyt are tucking in an awful lot. Japan are sitting back all right but Holland’s pace of passing is too slow.