FIFA World Cup 2010 - Group Stage

seems to be consensus that he deserved to get the line and give away a penalty but did he? Usually if the ball is driven straight at a fella’s arm in the box, his arm is beside his side and he doesn’t have any chance of getting out of the way it’s not given as a penalty. Is there a different rule if he stops a goal or something?

Ya, straight red.

Sid Ivory Coast are decent.

“Go fuck yourself you son of a whore” - Anelka’s constructive feedback to Domenech

Farewell, Didi. It’s been a pleasure.

+1

A gent. Up the germans.

He’s lucky Zidane isn’t still in that dressing room. Could have ended up with a forehead in his chest if he said something like that to him.

So is it a different rule? seems a bit harsh if it is. Why is it not even a penalty if a cross hits him but a straight red and a penalty if he’s on the line. Either time he could do nothing about it. Possibly should be a pen if he stops a goal even unintentionally but surely not a pen and a red card.

Is didi finishing up? Straight swap for Ossie? Can’t seem the ex Tottingham man being as good

I thought Kewell was unlucky and probably shouldn’t have gone but that just adds to my satisfaction at seeing his World Cup career ended.

Well its a straight red for deliberately stopping a goal. The referees interpretation obviously was that it was deliberate.

Yes, sadly Didi is taking his leave of us.

Strange set up

Harsh on Kewell either. Not a very likeable chap but you can’t argue it was deliberate at all. He put his arm in as close as he could, particularly the upper arm which is where he saw it was hitting him. Poor decision but once he gave the penalty he had to go.

Australia looked much the better team in that game but they’re fucked now.

Did anybody hear Souness’ view there about why England are so shit? Super stuff. I believe I was the first person on this forum to mention the possible altitude effects.

Ahem. I won’t argue, but i did mention it as well, you could have first.

Of course mbb and a few others ridiuculed it.

I believe they didn’t get the footballs either till 10-12 days after everyone else. Their touch was so bad, for decent players, has this had an effect as well?

Funny enough England last night reminded me of the Irish rugby team in the 2007 World Cup, who infamously got their preparation disastrously wrong. It certanly stands to reason from looking at their performances that England may indeed have got their altitude preparation completely wrong. How funny that is. I wouldn’t mind seeing a breakdown of which teams did what training and where and compre it against their performances.

They got the balls in January, the same as everyone else. They chose not to use them as they had a contract with Umbro. They came up with some guff about a shipment going missing but they were using them in plenty of domestic leagues this season (the Bundesliga, MLS, A League and others) so it’s not as though they were in short supply.

Cameroon one up here on the Danes.

Good finish by Eto’o there but Denmark really didn’t help themselves at all - shocking error by Poulsen (the cunt). On the back of the comedy own goal that sent the Dutch on their way to beating them the other day too.

:frowning:

Lay the fuck out of Cameroon here at 1/2 lads…