Fine Gael - Hugging The Touchline On The Right Wing?

The IMO were free to brief their members after that press release.

The IMO will now organise a series of consultative meetings for members and a ballot of GP members on the deal.

I suppose it depends if FG demanded resignations in those cases or if it was MM making the call. If the former then you’d imagine they’ll be upset but at the time it seemed more like internal FF calls

How come otoole didn’t share the doc with all NAGP members?

Leo needs to go lads

Sounds like a strange dynamic going by prior settlements

I think that’s a fair question but it is clear he shared it with the NAGP head honchos.

Did you not say that they wanted it because;

Going by the WhatsApp’s, they weren’t indicating where it came from, so your first statement seems moot. Now it’s that he didn’t share it with the wider group anyway- so what is the point you are making?

Mick Wallace on 16 April 2019

Only 20% of GPs are IMO members, 40% are members of the National Association of General Practitioners, NAGP, while 40% are not members of any union. This new contract has been negotiated without the input of the vast majority of GPs or their representative bodies. The vast majority of GPs have still not seen the new GP contract. Only one-in-five GPs have seen the contract via the IMO.

None of the memberships saw the contract before 8th may

Well the IMO didn’t share it either.

So I don’t see what the issue would be as such. I doubt many doctors rifled through the whole agreement, that’s for the head honchos who negotiated the substance of the agreement to communicate the summary to doctors themselves.

Why was IMO allowed negotiate the agreement is the real issue here. They only represent 20 per cent of GPs.

Leo knew he needed buy in of non IMO members. He should have gone through formal channels though. It was not best practice.

It was a confidential document and that’s where the story ends.

If leo wanted NAGP there he should’ve invited them

A lovely bit of goal post moving here … He admitted he leaked the thing and said it was already in the public domain… it wasnt.

I suppose I’m unclear what @artfoley is saying the purpose or consequence of the NAGP having the doc in mid-Apr was.

He seems to be saying the leadership didn’t share it with members yet says the purpose of them getting it was in some way an anti-union plot to undermine the IMO. Hell of a way to undermine them by doing nothing with it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You’ve said that the doc was common knowledge as it clearly wasn’t.

It was a confidential doc and leo shouldn’t have leaked it.

Lads are jumping through hoops to excuse his actions — what they should really be asking is what else has he leaked over the last few years?!

1 Like

Not really, the real issue is whether what Leo did was an abuse of his position. What did or didn’t happen with the information he handed over is irrelevant.

4 Likes

Exactly.

They were an interested constituent. They represented 40 per cent of GPs. He should have sent through formal channels

Harris mentioned them on 16th April

The agreement has been very warmly welcomed by many general practitioners, patient advocacy groups and, indeed, the Irish Medical Organisation, which worked very hard on it, as well as the National Association of General Practitioners in its public commentary to date.

No - I’ve said elements were common knowledge which seems to be agreed fact.

He prob shouldn’t have given it to the NAGP like this but that aside I don’t see the “corruption” alleged in giving it.

I don’t know if the mechanics of leaking this was illegal or not but that should be fairly clear to establish. If it’s not illegal then it seems more like the type of leaking which is fairly commonplace.