Fitness XL- Your training routine

Doctors are dreadfully unqualified to give real exercise advice.
But there is alot of dreadful trainers out there.

The guru effect is a serious issue in the world. Everyone seems to want to find that one guy who knows it all. Dangerous game.

2 Likes

Nonsense about having to go to a Chartered physio for assesment though. And picking people with Masters? In what? A Masters in assesments?
Arrogant, fear based rubbish. I read today about physios now believe they are best placed to give advice on obesity and exercise health. Ridiculous.

Having watched alot of it, i would wonder what is the point of it? Coaches want to know how to avoid injuries and want direct instruction towards what they need to do. All the big words mean f-all to coaches.

He is kinda missing the whole problem. The issues are not really because of the training or overuse or anything like that.
Its a movement issue, its because kids don’t move like we all did. They are not robust enough. Yes there is very silly training goi g on, but it more because of sudden jumps in activity. Just like with Klopp at Liverpool, sudden jumps in activity causes injuries. Before we cycled to training, we had already ran around at school, we probably played soccer for 2 hours as well, climbed a tree, rode our bike. Whats happening now is kids get in and out of a car and onto a pitch. So its low to high very quickly. As well as that the training is worse now, poorer movement, more drills, more predetermined runs, grids, boxes etc etc.

He also mentions the GAA 15 warm up, but its flawed. And based on FIFA 11 program which it turns out has increased injuries and not reduced them. Most Organisational led things like that are not best practice and often its the wrong people who get the job to create them. Cian O’Neill was heavily involved in that one and i think they got it wrong.

Again, Yoga is not always a good thing. You can get too flexible. Stiffness in some joints is good for injury prevention and speed. And i don’t think its like this guy is not knowledgable or whatever, its about throwing all this stuff out to guys who just pick a few words you say and run with it.

1 Like

He does give quite a few good real points and advice though and uses the rugby and “looks” analogies well.

:smile:[quote=“The_Selfish_Giant, post:1783, topic:16235, full:true”]
good segment on matt cooper during the week about nutritionists and fitness gurus.there was a doctor on saying these were mainly unqualified quacks giving out dud advice
[/quote]

Up another 20kgs on the squat. 120kgs now.

3 Likes

Great session in my outdoor gym today… Single leg squats, bench hops, step ups, mountain climbers, pushups, squats, pull ups - finished with 5 x 2 hill sprints - the last two sets done carrying a boulder… I’ll be ready for any English or Tipp bastard in Bordeaux.

1 Like

Nice bit of weight, what do you weigh?

20 reps of each exercise, 3 round of each:

1. 60kg DL, explosive push ups, sit ups, 10kg dumbbell shoulder press

2. 50kg hack squat, 50kg RDL, diagonal reptiles, wide and diamond push ups (10 each)

3. Lunges with forward raise, high pulls, supine rows (couldn’t do 20), some core exercise I don’t have a name for.

4. Burpee jumps, dorsal raises, glute bridges, dumbbell pullover.

Crawled home.

1 Like

15 stone at the moment.

Thats mental. What else did you do in the week?

Might have been overkill alright. It was a once off. Did two days heavier weights and two short runs with intervals.

You’d get more out of a Roadwork 2.0 session technically known as Cardiac output sessions. Very enjoyable and you can do loads in them. Long distance aerobic work without the running and pavement pounding and with loads of movement in it.
Joel Jameison is the guy who came up with them. I use tgem for various people. Work exceptionally well for aerobic training.

1 Like

Very interesting stuff

Sound, I’ll look it up. My two runs were 25mins on the treadmill, running at 10kmph, but running every fifth minute at the max speed of the treadmill (20kmph). Some core and stretching after each too.

Its not really far off that in ways.

Here is one i did recently to give you an idea, i obviously have my own twist on it. Its all about staying between 125 & 150 Heart Rate on a consistent basis. Work from 30 mins up to 60/75. Depends on the sport you play and needs etc.

@kev, if one was to do intervals based on HR how do you manage it? Is it time based or purely HR based as there’s a lag when going from one zone to another.

What are you training for?
What type of intervals?

If you have a geart rate monitor you can do HR intervals. Running between 130 & 150 for as long as possible and then when you go over it you break.

Most intervals though are done by time or distance.

@caoimhaoin, thoughts on this programmes? Apart from the cringey names. Worthwhile or will fuck you up? Might give it a go for a month, need to find something different to do for a while.

http://ashotofadrenaline.net/calisthenics-workout-plan/#workout

Pure nonsense. Very imbalanced back to front and top to bottom.

Dips are dangerous. As are pistol squats if you don’t have a ridiculously strong back.

1 Like

What are you looking to do?