Fitness XL- Your training routine

I’m not playing any competitive sport at the moment, so strength, fitness, put on some muscle. That looked completely different so would have kept it interesting and been a new challenge for a while.

I meant to ask, since when are dips dangerous? I’ve always done them.

They always have been, been kinda on the black list for maybe 6-7 years now.

What’s the harm in them?

Put the shoulder complex in very compromising position. Varies from person to person obviously and limb lengths etc can be a determent and also it matters alot if the bars are parallel or not. Dipping off the bent bars or benches are a total disaster because of the interal rotation.

Issue is often its way too late before you realise the damage.

Looking for a bit of advice here on what exercises I should do on leg day. Squats obviously, should I do deadlift on the same day as squats? What other leg exercises are most beneficial then to go along with those two?

Also just a general question about the benefits of core work. I don’t really like doing core work because I find it hard to see the benefits of doing it. What are the major benefits of it?

@caoimhaoin @ChocolateMice and anyone else who can help

Starting off, you shouldn’t have a “leg day”.

Lets a 3 day program.
Should be done in something like this
Day 1 - Squat & Pull
Day 2 - Hinge (deadlift) & Push
Day 3 - Step/Lunge or variations & Press

Upper and lower dominant any day tou go to the gym. Stops you missing out of you are busy and stops you shirking stuff you may not like. Seperating body parts os very 1980’s.

Core work (proper core work) will:
Improve posture
Make you more stable
Let you lift more
Help you run faster
Have better coordination
Live longer

2 Likes

DUP Program Template Builder DUP Program Template Builder (ver 2)-2.xlsx (181.2 KB)

Here ye go lads, a template from Mladen Janovic. Very handy one that literally could have you covered for life. Do 4 days in a week or 2 one week 2 the next, it works every way. All you have to do for variety is every 6 weeks change the nature of the movement (incline for bench or DB for flat bench or Single leg deadlift for double and so on).
I have several but i think this one from Mladen is beautifully simple.

Definitely would want a year of solid weightlifting done first with some technical training.

9 Likes

Very interesting.

Just quickly looked at this last night… should you be taking a combination from each box per session?

What’s wrong with 10 laps, followed by 100 press ups and 100 sit ups

3 Likes

That’s fine for u14, pal. But you need more power and explosive type work for u16.

Everything is done. Look at the 4 day work out page.
If you want to change exercises you literally change on exercise page and it transfers.

I’m on a phone so i’ll look proper later… how many exercises is that in total per session?

Around 12. A few are just little corr fillers and the likes

1 Like

A bit of backs and forwards then and you’ve the perfect session

1 Like

A good article putting together explosive power very well for the ordinary punter. Some handy tables too.

http://www.8weeksout.com/2016/07/27/the-explosive-power-formula/?inf_contact_key=a25d579055b9af40ebf9b502701eca7a8d55b6a8dc42c882f24a03809c41bfa7

Women’s 48kg weightlifting on now. For anyone who wants to feel like a pussy.

Excellent channel here for anyone who’s looking for in-depth, scientific discussion of training topics.

@caoimhaoin what are your thoughts on varying rep ranges for hypertrophy? As in lifting in the 15-20 range on occasion to target harder to stimulate fibers?

1 Like

Eccentric training would be my first port of call but it depends on weather you are fast twitch dominant or slow twitch?

Do you know what you are? A mix and diffiferent stimulants is always good though. As you age its harder to grow, you plateaux quicker.

I use High reps with younger athletes but thats as much for ligament and tendon development as well as mitochondria improvement as anything else.

If you have not done alot of high rep stuff before them you arguably will get a kick.