Fitness XL- Your training routine

I don’t know but my guess would be fast twitch. My training rep range. over a long period of time, is typically 6-8 for compound lifts. Dropping 20kg off my deadlift, for example, wouldn’t produce an equivalent leap in the volume of good form reps. Same applies to most of the major lifts.

I haven’t done a lot of high rep weights training so on that basis it might be a good idea to try it. I started doing bodyweight squats on non-lifting days again a while back and I can feel the difference already in flexibility and stability alone. How would you approach it? Would you go high rep for specific bodyparts within otherwise normal sessions? Or use a high rep range for an entire session, or week of sessions?

How many days a week do you train?

3 x lifting days. Sessions of about 60 minutes. 23-25 sets at the low end and 28-30 at the high end. Anything done on the other days is light.

Ok i would do something like this

Day 1 - Hinge & Push 》 Strength & Power, 85%+

Day 2 - Hinge, Push, Squat, Pull, Lunge/step, Press all at 60-70% for 2-3 sets close to fatigue

Day 3 - Squat & Pull 》 Strength & Power, 85%+

Just knocked out 3 reps of back squats at 120. Nearly projected max of 130. At weight 77kg. Best score in years and easily best %. I hit more previously but weighed around 83kg. I’m more a deadlifter than a squatter so thats big for me.

1 Like

I’ve laid the groundwork myself over the last month to start hitting decent weight. I havent properly trained in 18 months or so, it was more dribs and drabs in a limited gym. Been using dennehys for the last 4 weeks or so…lot of shapers but it has a good range of equipment. I’m at about 90 kg in bench, deads and squat with plenty more in the tank but I ain’t pushing it. Gonna build it slowly.

90 in all 3?

Obviously alot more in the deads and squats anyway.

Dennehys would wreck my head but i suppose with a pure weights session its get in/get out.

Whats the fanny like? Was only there once, on a sunday.

Yeah 90. But I’m not structuring workouts to get the best out of bench or deads at the minute.

Fanny is ok. Lot of young wans in skimpy outfits alright but not too many women of a decent standard.

Took me a while to adjust to all the cunts in there admiring themselves but I just plough on with my own thing.

2 Likes

Call out some day, i’ll do a assessment & program for ya. 20% off😉

4 Likes

Decided to try do some explosive body weight stuff. Warm up 5 mins on rowing machine and stretching.

Muscle ups x5, jumping lunges x12
Box jumps x5, Explosive push-ups x10
Barbell shoulder throw x8, dips x8
TRX supine rows x10, box jumps x10

Four rounds of each pair

2 Likes

I can feel the DOMS already. Nice to change it up every now and then with Power Stuff.

I did a high end “Fast Twitch” program adapted from a sprint coach in the US. It was fucking mental. Did 3 weeks on 1 week off. I was like a bullet for about 2 weeks after it though, was playing Aussie Rules and was killing it. But impossible to maintain. Still use alot of plyo and power work but a little bit more thinky spread now.

French Contrast Sessions are worth a look into.

Lose the dips though. They will wreck your shoulders

1 Like

You’ve said that before, been doing them years and no issues. I’ll cut down. Hamstrings on fire after the lunges, not too bad after the rest of it. I’ll do it again next week, hopefully a little faster and maybe with a bit more volume.

Interesting video on training volume and recovery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrM1wKtFmAQ

Despite suffering from a potentially life ending cold, I smashed it earlier.

Deads
60kg x 10
80 kg x 8
100kg x 5
120kg x 1
130kg x 1
100 kg x 5
60 kg x 10.

Hip thrusts with bar - 60 kg x 8, 70 kg x 5, 80 kg x 5.

Squats 60 kg x 10 , 80 kg x 8 , 100 kg x 5, 120kg x 2 , 130 kg x 1, 100 kg x 5 , 60 kg x 10.

Romanian deads - 60 kg x 10, 70 kg x 6, 80kg x 4.

Did this again this morning… Home for a protein shake and an Apple and went off and did an hours yoga just there. Gotta do a bit of house work and then its onto the couch for a weekend of sports. UN fucking real.

I have to say I never feel as good as I do when I’m hitting the weights… Running and soccer, there’s always a niggle, soreness and the body just feels off… After weights I feel ten years younger as opposed to ten years older after running. Unbelievable.

1 Like

That’s some quality lifting. Do you do no upper body stuff?

@caoimhaoin - what else can I do to sort tilted pelvis/tightened hip flexors out? Sitting 9 hours a day ain’t good

I did an upper body session in between… I usually do chest and back together and I do shoulders / traps /arms on another day. Not always in a week, I just rotate workouts as I go. I’ll lay off the heavy stuff soon and do more circuit type stuff then.

1. Get up and move every 20 mins. If an area permits do a few reps of lateral lunges and rotatiinal squats and maybe some hamstring stretching (but not too much)
  2. Butt clinch your way thru the day. Squeeze the shit oit of your arse for 10 reps 4-5 times a day. Will stop glute weakening.
  3. Activate glutes, hammys and hip flexors before any training.
  4. Loads of banded clams, bridges, banded squats, deadbugs, bear crawls and Bird Dogs in your weekly program.
  5. Some advanced Core work too like Farmer carries and all the variations.
4 Likes

Good man, cheers.