Fitness XL- Your training routine

the cycling is part of my work commute and I don’t be doing mad heavy weights

1 Like

Is it hard work flipping burgers for the plane spotters?

:grinning:

Had heard the idea but I never appreciated until fairly recently. I liked the idea of set routines where you could monitor progress over a long period of time.

It’s interesting that it doesn’t seem to be about more or less volume, higher or lower reps, higher or lower frequency etc, but more about new stimulus. Meaning that changing rep ranges, rest times, exercises etc. is as important as what you change to. Another thing the gym bros were kind of right about but naturally they called it something retarded like ‘muscle confusion’.

Shocking the body ?

I’m back in the pool tonight as the nerves in the back have calmed down again — apparently i’m being stalked by a lion and the large muscles are ready to bolt - but the smaller muscles are not - so when the lion pounced and I had to bolt the nerves flared up as a protection system — And that prick @Horsebox sending me to witch doctors and advising miracle potions for two years - If I had ignored him and shot the lion dead i’d be grand. My back is perfect!

Stimulate, not anihilate.

Do you think it’s a good idea to squat or deadlift every night? If so what % of 1RM or rep range should you be going for?

Whats the goal?

No chicken legs for @Watch_The_Break. :grinning:

That’s a good question to be honest. It has been strength and size for years but I hit 200 a while back which is as big as I want to be. I have always split the big 5 (or some variation on them) between two sessions, meaning that I have always either deadlifted or squatted/pressed every night. At this point I think I just want maintenance of the condition I have but to build more interesting/engaging sessions. It’s just that I’ve used deadlift/squat/row/bench/ohp movements as the basis of my sessions for so long that I’m not sure where to go next. Whether to continue to include them or change things up completely. I could keep doing what I’m doing but I’m open to something different.

Ok, the answer so i would suggest is variety of same movements in different forms and intensities.

To answer your question lets say to a squat. I think you could for instance train a 4 day split. Then have a monthly emphasis

Mon - Monthly emphasis at Maximal
Tues - Monthly emphasis at 30%jumps

Thurs - Monthly emphasis at 60% dynamic speed
Fri - Monthly emphasis Endurance

So lets say August is Squats

Mon - Back Squat 85-95% 1Rm lifts 》 they are obviously slow
Tues - Back Squat Jumps

Thurs - Back squat with slow eccentric and power concentric
Friday - 20-60KG for reps

Then tip away at all other movements.

Mon - Stability, Single Leg Deadlifts, Bottom up press, Single Arm Row. All relatively low volume
Tues - Mobility, Bench, Bulgarians, Chins

Thurs - Stability, RDL, OH Press
Fri - Mobility, BB Rows, Step ups

Then for september replace squatting with hinging. Benching in October.

And so on.

1 Like

What lion? What’s going on?

Interestingly, I’ve been trying this shocking the body thing for the last couple of weeks. 1 HIIT session a week outside of my normal routines. 8 exercises by 10 reps x 10 rounds as fast as possible with 60 seconds in between. Fairly fucked the first day and only managed 7 rounds. Did 9 the second day. Does this shit work?

Just an analogy he used — First off, pain is a protection thing - the body remembers previous trauma so when you put your body into a position that may lead to this trauma again it will try and stop you - hence the reason my back will flare up every now and again as a result of the injury from 4 years ago — Hence the stalked by a lion part — which was also a way of saying injury is also psychosomatic - If the body/mind is on edge and working around an injury (ready to go into flight mode)- well if you have a weakness this will be highlighted in this scenario - as is the case with some smaller muscles around back/glute/hip area that I have … But nothing is permanent, and we can turn this lion into a pussy cat. Meow.

What’s the aim, brah?

Sick saying it to you. Pilates pal. Moves your back through 3 planes of movement - flexion, extension, rotation. Segmental. Sequential. Articulation. Unreal.

As Joe Pilates said “if your spine is inflexibly stiff at 30 you are old. If it is completely flexible at 69 you are young”

Joe talked utter nonsense.
The spine has many different areas but 3 main ones and they need different things.

Cervical spine needs rigidity.
Thoracic spine needs mobility
Lumbar spine needs stability

A few pilates exercises are enough in a warm up, but thats all pilates is, an extravegant warm up.

What’s the best resistance based approach to building your hip abductors? Cable machine?

Riding. Lots of riding. :slight_smile:

I’m not that acrobatic unfortunately.

I’m not getting into this with you again. L3, L4. They’re prolapsed which is causing you all sorts of problems with your glutes and hip flexors. I told you this 3 or 4 years ago and you can shit on about lions and tigers all you want but someday you will drop to your knees and beg me for forgiveness for not listening to me sooner.

You pig ignorant wanker.

1 Like