Further Things That Are Wrong (Part 1)

Ruh roh

Hereā€™s 9,999 in cash. Iā€™ll pay the other 10,000 by prepaid cards, that I topped up in a shop with cash.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a bit harsh.

1 Like

The European Unionā€™s heaviest cash users are in Germany and Austria where cash remains king for most consumers.

One for the things I learned today thread. Youā€™d just assume that Jerry would be big on digital payments.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a ten grand limit on the amount of cash you can withdraw in one go here.

I was surprised when I was in Munich few years ago to see that culturally in terms of Johnny Cash type bidniz they were closer to the Italian way of life as in many restaurants were cash only which I assume was for fiscal efficiency reasons

Thatā€™s not a zloty is it

Iā€™ll happily take an All Ireland ticket this year. I deserve it.

Ze Germans are big into privacy

I suppose the fear is once all digital, they can then charge for use of paywave and the likes. Every transaction can be charged a fee for service.

Given interest on savings is bubkas, below rate of inflation even, theyā€™ll find another way to eat into savings and this one step towards it

2 Likes

Euro. There is an action to limit the amount of cash withdrawn from ATMs now, think the limit is 500 Euro a day.

1 Like

Informative rating. I was buying a bit a while back, and transferred money to my sister and asked her to get it out in cash. The bank teller cheerfully asked what was she doing. She had her story straight.
ā€œIā€™m buying a carā€ she said (my sister is a very straight person at all times, so she said she could feel herself going red)
ā€œOh lovely. What car are you gettingā€
After a pause, a stammer and a deeper flush
ā€œI canā€™t rememberā€

9 Likes

Reminds me of the time my now wife excitedly rang me to tell me she was after buying a new(ish) car. I congratulated her and asked what kind of car she she had gotten. She proudly informed me that it was a green one. I told her you canā€™t go wrong with those green ones.
I often remind her of that story.

13 Likes

Would this legislation stop dealers buying farm machinery for cash?

Itā€™s 5k per day in Ulster bank. Drove me fucking mad when I was getting the kitchen done. That being said not 2 shits did they give in the bank.

Like the old Niall Toibin joke where he rings the auto factors looking for a cylinder head gasket, for a blue car

1 Like

Itā€™s but thereā€™s truth in it also, Iā€™ve a bro who never played /attended any GAA match , but keeps getting AI final tickets to give away each year ( none my way )

The priest killed below in Monkstown by the bus today, Fr Con, lovely man, RIP. I lived beside the church for a while and he said a great Mass.

:pensive:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Iā€™m glad the rest of that is behind a paywall. Between that story, the Nadine court case and the Munster children itā€™s been a fairly horrific week for court reporting. You wouldnā€™t be right after reading some of them