Further Things That Are Wrong (Part 2)

all of which was pointed out when it was first suggested for mater site, and again when it was moved to the jamesā€™ site.

for colocation with a senior hospital, the best option for access, parking etc wouldve been connolly in blanch, which has room to expand

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to know the truth behind all these delays on the hospital itself.

BAM are generally well regarded when it comes to building these social infrastructure projects. There can always be exceptions though (a Google search would probably reveal them having a mare on another project or two in the past) so I donā€™t know if theyā€™re misbehaving, as alleged by the government, or if the project design/scope/management was all over the shop & BAM are a convenient scapegoat.

BAM seem to be saying the entire construction period has been characterised by the end user making regular change requests which mean different areas need to redesigned, recosted etc etc.

BAM quoting 25m for a snag that cost 200k in the end doesnt reflect well on them

1 Like

Would the board have a lot of
experience in delivery of major infrastructure projects.

Cheers pal. Handy for when Iā€™m in to visit you.

2 Likes

Donā€™t get sick mate. Itā€™s that easy.

Engineers, architects, lawyers with background in construction, fella involved in major health facility constructions for State, chartered surveyor, finance guys

Wheres the shortfall?

Michael O Leary and Trump

BAM have never been regarded as anything other than a shower of cunts.

5 Likes

I stand corrected, mate.

1 Like

BAM arenā€™t misbehaving.
Too many people spending someone elseā€™s money, too many changes as a result, too many establishment heads etc.

1 Like

Do they need curvey beds to align with the curvey walls?

2 Likes

The 25 minute walk from Connolly would be nice and handy for someone who is violently ill

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight.

Youā€™ve respected poster status so your posts carry weight.

No, theyre for the kids with scoliosis

3 Likes

A man said to me, the first thing that is installed on a BAM site is a claims office (i.e. claiming for extras). They are experts at the tendering process, price the job cheaply to win the gig but then crucify the client on the extras (see ā‚¬25m for a 200k job). Theyā€™ve also a terrible reputation for ripping off subbies.

1 Like

Itā€™s like going into a restaurant on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. 13 quid for a paella, they tell you. That seems reasonableā€¦

Then you go in, and the waiter casually asks you do want a plate of jamon as a starter, as if itā€™s expected, almost forcing it on you, and you say, eh, okay, I suppose so.

Then after youā€™ve had your paella and get the bill, it turns out the plate of jamon cost 50 quid.

BAM.

3 Likes

I dunno, is there an element of S Club 7 to that? Apologies, I meant is there a bit of Hearsay there?

Any construction contract for a significant infra project should have clearly defined processes for changes? For example, quotes from at least x number of suppliers/sub contractors to justify additional costs or variations. Sure there might also be allowances for fees associated with the variation request, e.g. some lawyer type (@artfoley) or technical/QA type (@Gman) might need to review the variation & assess whether its sound.

I work in this area myself, but I donā€™t claim to be a subject matter expert. But surely they shouldnā€™t be able to charge an extra ā‚¬25mn for something that cost ā‚¬200k unless the contract on the government side has been negotiated by a complete & utter simpleton.

Would never happen

2 Likes