Further Things That Are Wrong (Part 2)

I was fairly livid reading about it today and what he did to that family. To think he is resuming his life a free man and he isnt even 30 yet must be raw for the family. Its sickening. America is quite insular and Iā€™m not sure much stock would be put in foreign rule of law so he should have no problem getting back on his feet. All Youā€™d want is 5 minutes with him.

2 Likes

The Yanks and all that Gods plan shite would wither you.

Money and obvious as fuck.

1 Like

Iā€™d send the cunt out to Furlongā€™s pub on a busy Saturday night.

1 Like

This has been a bugbear of mine for several years now.

Looks like Iā€™m behind the times soā€¦

Been there ā€¦ itā€™s not nice and hard to manageā€¦

Might be some universal aspects to this

100%.

Itā€™s very much tied to capitalism and the bombardment of advertising we experienceā€¦ US at the far end of the scale. But value is very much placed in things and competing for these thingsā€¦ The world of social media obviously plays its part. Constant information, advertising, being compared and comparing oneā€™s self to others. More and more people feeling alienatedā€¦

Lack of technology and coming up in a country without (excessive) money was a blessing. Making do and your parents fucking you outside to play hail, sleet or snow made us the happy people we are today.

7 Likes

Religious Symbology at soccer matches.

It was grand years ago, just a few South Americans blessing themselves. But theyā€™re down on their knees praying to Allah and everygod and anygod up in the sky.

Itā€™s time to take out the yellow cards.

2 Likes

Robert Putnam wrote the essay which would become the basis for the book ā€œBowling Aloneā€ as far back as 1995.

Organised low level adult team sport in the US does not seem to be much of a thing. Itā€™s a yawning void in their society.

1 Like

When Cafu had ā€œ100% Jesusā€ written on his shirt lifting the World Cup in 2002, Eamon Dunphy was on the highlights that night - he was let back on sufferance just for that programme after being suspended for much of the tournament for turning up pissed for Japan v Russia. He said it was ā€œa beautiful thingā€ the way several of the Brazilians were so demonstrably religious. I found it weird, it reminded me of the bible thumpers in the US. It was the first time I became properly aware of the Brazilian evangelical movement, which I now find nearly as scary as the US one and seems to be intimately tied up with the crazy politics of headbangers like Bolsonaro.

Tim Vickery calls the world of Brazilian football ā€œferociously right-wingā€. Coach Tite and Richarlison are two of the very few to put their head above the parapet as standing against what Bolsonaro stands for. Juninho Pernambucano, best known for playing for Lyon, is one of the few ex-players to be vocally anti-Bolsonaro.

1 Like

I had heard of this but didnā€™t realise the scale of the child casualties and shocking carry on of the powers that be afterwards.

Itā€™s been mentioned before. It doesnā€™t bear thinking about.

looks like @maurice_brown was on the hooch again last night

god only knows what bile he was posting just there

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: itā€™s a link of a reel from Paul Murphy TD about the taxpayer funding the lifestyles of Michael Oā€™Leary, JP McManus and the rest thru an organisation called Horse Racing Ireland to the tune of ā‚¬70m per annum.
Link cannot be copied for some reason.

I just won free tickets to Munster v Leinster on Stephenā€™s day, pre match food, programme and Q&A with playersā€¦ the family tickets tickets to Mathilda is what i was after.

Youā€™ll enjoy that mate. My brother and his boyfriend are going too.

Iā€™m gonna do a KLF on it and record me burning the tickets through s live stream on the Munster thread.

17 Likes