GAA Congress 2020 - Larry boy is Boss now

I think it’ll change the game completely if that’s a black card. Come back Jonny Glynn.

That’s true. I’d say it’s easier than the old black card rule.

Everyone has agreed for years the structure is all wrong, definitely in the football anyway. This is the stepping stone now to a proper tiered championship. Once some traditions have been broken all bets are off now.

They usually have fairly good video packages highlighting examples of exactly what they are trying to get rid of. It will be similar to the professional foul in soccer usually fairly clear cut but the odd controversial one. A man off for ten and even a penalty in gaa isn’t as big a deal as a pen or red card in soccer either.
The problem will come with lads pulling down someone 30m out who is about to pass to a man unmarked inside.
Is there a new line marking on the pitch for this?

2 Likes

I’d also be concerned this will lead to more diving.

One of the cynical fouls which caused outrage wasn’t even given as a free. The rugby tackle by possibly a Dublin lad from memory.

Attempts to improve the game should always be made, but the GAA is so reactive it’s ridiculous. A few pundits talk about it for a season and next thing a rule change which is completely vague is made (and which will no doubt cause controversy) and same pundits will be giving out about it.

Head down run for goals, a back trying to stand him up forward runs into him and it’s a ten minute sin bin. Uproar

And a penalty

I think the penalty would be more than sufficient punishment.

Is it not a yellow in hurling and sin bin in football, as well as the penalty

Not according to what @cluaindiuic posted above

I’m glad the scourge of the dual captain has finally been dealt with. It’s like a Sunday evening rant in the pub from an auld lad some how found its way to Congress.

8 Likes

Yes it appears I’m wrong, the sin bin is now in hurling.

You’d say something if it was a motion from a club but it came from Ard Chomhairle!

I’d say Jimmy Sloyan hates dual captains.

Clubs and counties were told this wasn’t the year for contentious motions. But then this mustn’t be contentious.

Does this mean now if a fellas whole family dies of/with covid during the season and he battles on against the odds to play in the final the captain can’t bring him up to lift the cup with him or does it just mean they can’t be named joint captain?

There was a good point made today regarding this. If you have an under 16 team amalgamation you couldn’t have one from each parish collecting the trophy

Stupid rule changes voted in

Increase the large square to the 20 line and make it 5 metres wider on each side. That would be enough. There is no valid reason to have a 13 metre line then.

1 Like

Does that apply for clubs as well? The dual captains in any unfinished club championships from last year will be in competition for the cup lift this summer so!

Save a fortune on lime