GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Will Joe Canning go in with him I wonder?

Hopefully. Get him off the television.

1 Like

Who’ll write the Limerick love ins in the Irish Times then?

1 Like

Next man up.

3 Likes

I doubt it. Frannie Ford and Noel Larkin are his right hand men for nearly a decade, he’ll hardly part company with them now… Damien Joyce might be retained from Shefflins cohort.

1 Like

The managerial merry go round continues. MD obviously locked into Galway. The story is that there is a job waiting for Davy in Antrim, however you bet your bottom dollar he will be sniffing around the Dublin job. I’d love if he was left with nothing.

The Dublin job is attractive for two reasons. One there there is the core of a good team there for another 3 years. They are relatively young with a bit of underage talent to come on board. Secondly silverware is attainable. Leinster is at a low ebb with their main competitors there in a state of transition.

The runners and riders for the job can be divided by internal and external candidates. Within the county the main two options would be Shane O’ Brien the current 20s manager and Joe Fortune. Fortune is probably the better option but O Brien is possibly favoured more by the county board. Outside of them Paul O Brien, Sean Power and Gearoid O Riain would be well thought of in certain quarters. There are also a number of good operators around the Kilmacud and Na Fianna club mgmt teams who would offer something to a mgmt ticket.

Derek McGrath would have been in the box seat amongst the external candidates if he stayed involved with the 20s in 24. I heard he wanted the job when MD got it two years ago. Davy will no doubt make a representation for the job. Eddie Brennan with his Dublin sidekick Niall Corcoran would be another option. Eddie also did a few years with Cuala. Liam Sheedy, Henry Shefflin, David Herity and Willie Maher are others who might go for it.

Personally I’d give it to Joe Fortune. He has earned his crack at it knows more about Dublin hurling than any of the names mentioned above. If not him, then an internal candidate, at worst an outsider with a backroom team stacked with Dublin people. The days of an outside manager with a big outside backroom team have to stop.

14 Likes

Eamon O Shea might stay also. EOS had MD involved with Tipp for a bit.

2 Likes

Dalo, Hedgo and Richie Stakelum was one of the most dynamic Inter County Management teams ever.

The rawness of Dalo from Easht Clare, the earthiness of Hedgo from Chraobh Chiaran and the polished nature of Stakelum from the hurling heartlands of Borrisileigh was just iconic.

Dublin need to replicate that.

Davy, AN OTHER & Paudie O’Neill would make a great combination.

1 Like

Did his stint with Westmeath end a bit sour on a player’s front? That’s what I heard.

As you said to me at the semi final he doesn’t have Costello to contend with now, he’d be a good choice.

1 Like

:100: agree on an internal front. They need to stay local. Best man for the job is local imo but probably won’t go for it as they’re probably expecting a long campaign this year :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Not really, went south a bit this year but a limited pool, he’ll be fondly remembered here.

1 Like

I think it just ran its course. Must be tough trying to keep lads motivated when most games in the top tier they play they lose. Joe is a siege mentality man and that schtick only runs so long.

Joe however was successful with Westmeath in the overall scheme of things. He won Leinsters at minor and under 21 with unrelated teams. Won a county final with Ballyboden too.

1 Like

Buff wouldn’t have him anyway, that’s for sure.

Joe knows Dublin hurling alright but still thinks there’s a role for Vincent’s Hedgo in the IC set-up :man_shrugging:

In addition he can be a bit, eh, headstrong on the line. Dwayne and Eimear were the stabilisers when he was with the 21s; he’ll need similar if he goes near the seniors.

A few sighs of relief in Dublin I’d say.

1 Like

How the hell can Anthony Nash be a part of the management team? Teaching in Limerick - unless he literally flies up on Fridays after school and does a session Friday nights and Sundays, staying up there at weekends

I believe he’ll have to fly…

1 Like

He doesn’t teach in Limerick.

1 Like

Talk is that Davy is buying a brand new hi ace which he will convert the back with two cot beds for him and Nash to sleep in while Mallet and Fat Head Hickey drive home in the wee hours from training.

17 Likes