GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Examples please.

Newmarket won the county final in Clare when he was with them, Portroe won their first North Tipp final ever under him. Minor and senior All Ireland’s with Tipp. Can’t think of any other teams he was with

North Tipp final isn’t a success.
Newmarket are a top team in Clare, they are always in or around there.
Tipp winning All-Irelands is nothing new.

There’s fellas in Kilkenny with up to ten All-Irelands. Fellas in Cork with a good few as well. Fellas in Clare and indeed Offaly with as many as him. Has he more All-Irelands than any of the Dooley brothers or Johnny Pilkington, John Troy and these boys? So why is he more qualified than them as a blow-in to decide the fate of Offaly hurling?

I’m sure someone will come along and list the teams he has been involved with that won nothing.

1 Like

Newmarket won it in 2012 for the 1st time in 31 years.

2 Likes

Divisional titles are serious business in Tipperary particularly to clubs like Portroe that won’t realistically win a county title. That would have been celebrated like an All Ireland in Portroe especially as it was their first ever. As @Mullach_Ide said Newmarket hadn’t won a county championship for years before he was there. Tipp hadn’t won an All Ireland in 9 years before 2010 and hadn’t even been close to competing for one until he took over. Tipp hadn’t won a minor for ten years before he took over and won it

1 Like

You haven’t a notion.

He is a performance based manager.

You just so u nd jealous and bitter.

Would you say no to the money?

Of course you wouldn’t. He is doing something he enjoys, is good at and can get a few bob. That actually is (or should be) everyone’s dream.

1 Like

He’s a mercenary.

Strongly agree rating.

I don’t doubt he’s a of a showman, but well and good to him if he’s pulling it off. He obviously has a bit about him, it couldn’t all be bluff. And no one would blame him for walking on Tipp after delivering the All Ireland, he learned from Nicky’s experience.

That’s him in a nutshell, he focuses on the year ahead not on longer term development. If that’s what a team needs then he is the man to achieve that but he doesn’t foster long term relationships.

In any other country in the world this man would be seen as a massive success. But in typical old begrudging Ireland we have lads who want to see the bad and take potshots at people who’ve done well for themselves, usually based on their own insecurity of being a general failure at life.

1 Like

He hasn’t begrudged yer man but he has questioned Offaly on using a mercenary to decide on the future of the game in their county.

Terrible slant and misrepresentation of the post you quoted, you Commodus wanker.

Offaly had to use an outside man, there was all out war in the county after the abject mess that was the appointment of Whelehan. To do anything else would have lead to a riot. Fair enough to comment both of you, but you aren’t aware of the goings on internally.

Eh?

• Was he on the speaker circuit as well? Motivational speaking, key note speaker or whatever? Another nice few bob.
  • Sheedy is a cute hoor
  • he knew he wouldn’t repeat it and it would sully his reputation
  • looking up at the clock. Another 5mins to go, nearly there. I’ll laugh again to waste more seconds.
  • He gets on all these GAA taskforces as well. Money for jam
  • Yeah i’ll find a fella for ye, i know just the man. Money for old rope
  • The man has made incredible use of himself, and is clever clearly at cosying up to the right people and selling himself
  • I just fail to see the big deal with him that he can earn all these junkets.

None of that is begrudging? Did the Holocaust happen?

He totally begrudged him and didn’t just query his role in the appointment of the Offaly manager.
Calling him a mercenary is of course more begrudgery you plain and simple wanker.

How does that translate to begrudging him?

But he is. Why is he taking money to “help” other counties rather than his own if he’s not a mercenary?

He has done his stint with his own County as a player, selector and manager.
You have evidence of his remuneration for these roles?
As far as I am aware the last team he managed was Tipperary in 2010.

Have you evidence he didn’t receive remuneration for that. Common sense would tell you he hardly dispenses with his services free of charge. But go ahead, argue with logic.

He was part of a five-man committee comprising of county board chairman Padraig Boland, county secretary Tommy Byrne, and former players Joe Brady and Rory Hanniffy.
I fail to see how it makes him a mercenary, but on your logic, Peter Canavan is also a mercenary as is Pete McGrath, Jody Gormley, Pascal Canavan etc etc