GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Yes.

Ah yes, so you weren’t able to process my cogent points in your narrow mind so you used something you have heard over and over again to charge me with, the typical Irish begrudgery insinuation.

If you had read my reasoned points properly you would see that towards the end i actually said the way he makes such good use of himself is to be admired. So how am i begrudging him. What i’m doing is questioning if his ability or CV justifies all these junkets he’s getting.

He has won how many All-Irelands? One at senior, someone said one at minor, and i assume he has one as a player? So let’s say three All-Irelands spread across a lifetime in the GAA with a massive county like Tipp with a tradition of winning All-Irelands. There’s plenty of other men in Tipp with three All-Irelands in their pockets. But let’s go outside of Tipp for arguments sake:

Cork - Jimmy Barry Murphy has done it all, winning All-Irelands as a player and manager. I don’t have the exact firgure to hand but he probably has double and then some the All-Irelands Sheedy has. Donal O’Grady has a few as manager. John Allen has a great CV as a manager. Many more players from Cork have won All-Irelands and All-Stars - the O’Connors, the Rock, Donal Og, Joe Deane.

Limerick - Eamon Cregan two All-Irelands as a player, one as a manager which was with Offaly no less! Why couldn’t they go to Cregan who has actually done something for the county? Joe McKenna two All-Irelands and All-stars and a former Offaly man.

Clare - Loughnane, Daly, Lohan, Jamesie O’Connor.

Kilkenny - Probably 50 fellas in Kilkenny with more All-Irelands than Sheedy.

Has Sheedy even got a measly All-Star to his name by the way? My point is there is a multitude of other guys in the GAA world with more credentials and achievements than Sheedy but a head of steam has risen up in front of him and now you have eejits like the county board in Offaly thinking he is some kind of sage who has revolutionized hurling. It’s become popular to hire him to task up or give his input into something now and it’s a cop out by those hiring him because they are rightfully assuming they will avoid any criticism from delegates that every stone wasn’t overturned in the quest to achieve a certain aim. If Offaly has bothered looking around they would find candidates to do this task ten a penny.

On the Sunday game thing, are you happy with his performance as an analyst? In my opinion he blends into the background and you hardly know he is there. For all his supposed expertise he has never bothered opening his mouth to say something insightful or coherent. He is possibly the worst use of an analyst i have seen. Just there to pick up his handy money, phoning it in, saying the bare minimum to keep the gobshites at home watching on their tv sets happy.

1 Like

Great to see Declan Ryan on the line for Clonoulty last night marshalling their U14B Hurlers.

1 Like

@Smark has been a breath of fresh air around this place.

Taking on all comers and cleaning house. If only all new posters could fit in so seamlessly and cut through the bullshit.

1 Like

It’s gas, all the fellas on here lauding Sheehy has a genius were the same lads saying back in 2010 that Sheehy was only there to carry the water and that Eamonn O’Shea was the brains behind the operation.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is lauding him.
He was certainly a better manager than a hurler, he’s making a few bob, fair play to him.

This @Mac chap has been here since 2008, that’s seven years in which he should have honed his debating skills on here to an expert level. To be honest as a newbie i expected better discussion from an experienced member. He leveled me with a charge of Irish begrudgery, FFS is that it!

1 Like

Sure @Mac is a dumb fool but his horse racing tipping prowess carries weight around here, mate.

1 Like

No need to go to that level of detail to justify your begrudgery mate.

1 Like

Indeed mate, and I kept the same username since 2008 too. Others have gone through a few iterations since then and then fall down when pretending to be new by throwing out a line in a discussion that only someone who’s been present on the site for years would know.

1 Like

That may be the nicest thing you’ve ever said about me :relaxed:

You’ve wisely diverted the discussion elsewhere. But anyway i’ll indulge you. What was the line i threw out that suggests i’ve been here for years?

I never said you did mate.

An unbroken history with one username is something to dearly cherish. It’s only this time last year I was masquerading as Bartosz Bereszynskiego or something. A very tough time for me.

3 Likes

No they were smart enough to realise they had made a few misinformed (you should take note) and rash decisions in relation to picking managers and learned from their mistakes.

I think the only people who have had a consistent username since 2008 have been yourself (Bartosz and Colin aside). @farmerinthecity, @Appendage, @Gman. @Fran and myself.

Edit - and @myboyblue

I was Tiger back in the day.

who have they managed?

Joe had a relatively (even more so now) successful stint with Offaly. His record and commitment to Offaly hurling cannot be questioned. Fuck it, he even spawned their best current hurler.

You were wronged, mate.