GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I thought some chap named McKinless was a shoe-in for the Derry job?

Won an All Ireland with Derry as a player. Has a rather modest managerial record at club level. Looks to be a pretty uninspiring appointment but who knows. Derry have the talent there to be achieving much more than they are.

Yeah, those were the reports last week but the same was being said about Banty a few weeks before.

Derry need big Geoffrey McGonagil in charge

Joe Quaid has thrown his name into the ring for Kildare hurling manager. Hope he gets it.

They need this guy.

1 Like

I heard this lately actually that he was going for it. He should have an excellent chance. He has been fairly fucked about in Limerick IMO. He is desperate to get noticed and get involved in the Senior set-up there from what i can see. He has plenty to offer Limerick in the future i hope.

Davy lost out on Joe O Connor did he?

Do we know if Kildare have hired Liam Sheedy to head up the committee to find their new manager or not?

3 Likes

No
They brought Charlie McCreevy out of retirement to do that one

Damien Barton is an alright sort, and has an astute gaelic mind. This is a good move for Derry GAA.

Agree

That’s a proper northern name

1 Like

He was some detail. A fair lump of a man

Tony Scullion to assist Barton. Two of the class of 93 at the helm.

Sounds like a cork call.

Are they performance driven coaches/managers in football or work?

Or are they just lads who know alot about football?

Derry need men at the helm who can get the players to buy into the county team more than anything else. There’s a real sense of apathy there and the club scene dominates the county scene with a lot of the best players not making themselves available. Derry need a unifying figure.

Barton’s managerial record is very underwhelming seeing as he’s managed a lot of decent clubs and won nothing but we’ll soon see.

Good managers/coaches don’t always win cups though. And nordie place alot of mass in having county reps on teams that gives the perception of strong teams. But strong club reams are largely based on the next layer of players you gave. So if they are average you’ll struggle.

I lik E derry and would like to see them do well. They would have to drop the hard man act though. Get the feeling the more skillful lads get killed at club level too and often don’t come through.

Maybe not. I don’t know much about Barton enough to comment but his track record is pretty inspiring. The best managers in Ulster over the past 10-15 years have been Harte, McGuinness, Kernan and O’Rourke. They all had proven track records at club or underage county level before taking county teams on.

Barton wouldn’t seem to have that so it would appear to be an uninspiring easy choice from the county board. I still feel that it’s just a sheer sense of apathy from players abd supporters that prohibits Derry from achieving what they should.

They definitely have the players to win an Ulster and put it up to some of the big boys.

Mick Lillis to be appointed new Laois football manager.

The plummet to Division 4 football begins to gathers pace.